Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quarter inch black spots on vinyl surface

1. Back To Top    #1

Quarter inch black spots on vinyl surface

I have a 26,000 gal in-ground pool with hayes filter and pump system. I put 3 trichlor tabs in each week plus chlorine bleach should my FC needs a boost and run my filter 8 hrs a day. My problem is I have developed 1/4" black spots on the bottom and I am sure it is not Black algae as I can't scratch it off of alter it in anyway even with a jack hammer, just kidding. I have read your posts and read about copper complications forming spots. I have a Flotron copper ionizer which has kept my pool algae free and chlorine consumption to a minimum. I love it, but now "me thinks" there is a relationship between the Flotron and the spots.

Any comments?

My pool stays balanced and crystal clear with the exception of my spots.
    I live in Lynchburg, VA. and have a vinyl 16x32 in-ground pool with avg. depth 6.5'. 26500 gallons.
    Tri-chlor 3" tabs, bleach, Arm and Hammer soda, muriatic acid, Flo-tron ionizer, solar cover, Hayward D.E. filter, Hayward Chlorinator.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Sierra Vista, Az

Re: Quarter inch black spots on vinyl surface

You can get vitamin C tablet. Place them in a sock and crush them. Then rub them on the spots. If the spots fade or go away then it is metal/mineral stain
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process