Getting ready to add chemicals??

mommark

Silver Supporter
May 29, 2014
Midland, MI
Hello,
First post of the season, yes, I know we are way behind this year. So, I cannot remember how much of each to add to our pool. It is an Intex, round, 18'x48" pool. Holds approximately 6,500 gallons of water. Any help would be great. We are filling it now as I type and within the next few hours it will be full and ready for my chemicals. I only use your method of chemicals, bleach and borax and loved how simple it was last year.

Thank you all again for your terrific site.

In this order: FC to 2 since you have no CYA yet. CYA tied up in a sock and set to dissolve. Adjust pH. Go swimming.

You'll need to add more bleach every day, guessing how high the CYA is by how much has dissolved.
To refresh your memory:

Pool School - PoolMath to calculate volume and doses
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals to remind you what does what and how to add it.

After a week, your CYA should be reading what you targeted, so test it to be sure. Then adjust your target FC to correspond. poolmath will give you those values once you set the pool surface down near the bottom of the table.

Thank you, I went to the poolmath, but was confused about the numbers I got.
38 oz. of FC
153 oz of TA
250 oz. of CH
35 oz. of CYA

Do these look right? Seems like a crazy amount of CH & CYA.
Can't check the math unless you tell us what the now readings are for pH and TA.

I can tell you that you won't need the CH. You don't have a plaster pool, so there is no danger of leaching it from the walls. So from here on out, whatever you get for CH now, just set that as the target and move on.

To raise FC to 2 (remember, no CYA is in the water yet) will only take 19 fluid ounces of 8.25% bleach. 0 to 40 CYA will take the 35 oz by weight or 4½ measuring cups by volume you calculated.

I have not added any chemicals yet. The water came directly from our 2 hoses, it is city water. I have not done any testing, since I will be just starting out for the season.
I put 0 into the pool math for the Now.

- - - Updated - - -

Last year I did our start up using another pool forum's 7 day plan for Intex type pools. This year, I want to not have the same issues as I had last year where our FC was up to 18 with a low CYA of 40. It took awhile for the FC to drop down and the CYA to raise.

I have not added any chemicals yet. The water came directly from our 2 hoses, it is city water. I have not done any testing, since I will be just starting out for the season.
I put 0 into the pool math for the Now.
The FC and the CYA will be zero out of the tap, or will be by the time the pool is full due to sunlight. But pH and TA might actually be fine, or even high, in which case you'll need acid. So dont add anything but bleach and stabilizer until you've tested things.

Stabilizer would be what??

Stabilizer is CYA is Cyanuric Acid.

As it says in Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals which I linked before

CYA - Cyanuric Acid

CYA can be raised with cyanuric acid. Cyanuric acid is sold under a variety of names, including Stabilizer, Conditioner, Instant Pool Water Conditioner, Stabilizer 100, Stabilizer & Conditioner, etc. Instant Pool Water Conditioner is a liquid product which is significantly more expensive than the other forms.

Solid cyanuric acid should be placed in a sock, and the sock put in the skimmer basket. After adding solid cyanuric acid you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Solid cyanuric acid can take up to a week to fully register on the test, so it is best not to test the CYA level until one week after adding some.​

I just checked and I do have Cyanuric Acid. It is the liquid form, so I am not sure how much of it that I should add. The bottle is Taylor Technologies, and I do believe that it is only the 16oz. bottle.
That's the test reagent, R-0013. You'll need it later to test CYA, but right now you know it is zero because tap water has no CYA in it.

This is what you want: Clorox Pool and Spa Chlorine Stabilizer, 4 lbs - Walmart.com

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.