Cloudy in Deep End

ssgumby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2012
Maryland
My pool has always been crystal clear. I started using TFP methods from the beginning and run a salt cell.

Recently over the past few weeks we have had lots of storms. The storms caused the water to be cloudy and I cannot seem to get it clear. I don't think it looks green at all, just kind of hazy.

FC=10 (I cranked it up a bit knowing rains were coming typically keep it around 5-6).
CYA = 70
CC = not enough to register really so less then .5
I dont have my other numbers handy but they have all consistently been in normal range.

2015-06-22 13.22.35.jpg

The shallow end looks pretty clear.

2015-06-22 13.37.09.jpg

Any ideas on what is causing cloudy deepend? its very frustrating as I pride myself on how clear my water is.

The storms themselves really shouldn't effect your water clarity. Sometimes something just gets in there even when our numbers don't rationalize it which is why the SLAM PASS criteria also includes "water clear". To be sure though, you could do an OCLT overnight. A drop of more than 1 ppm of FC during the hours of darkness would indicate you do indeed need to SLAM. Get it while it's still early.

- - - Updated - - -

I got in Juuuust a bit late on that one. :)

Could it be that the rain aerated the water and the pH is higher? With a vinyl liner pool you don't need CH so I wouldn't think your pool is saturated with calcium carbonate, but perhaps you could post a complete set of numbers (FC, CC, pH, TA, CYA, CH) to be sure.

I think it's more likely the storm put debris (pollen, seeds, leaves, bugs, fine dust or dirt, etc.) into the pool and that this is primarily a filtration issue. Since you have a sand filter you can see how to Add DE to a Sand Filter for finer filtration and then run the filter 24/7 and it should clear up.

Here are all my numbers.
FC=10 (I cranked it up a bit knowing rains were coming typically keep it around 5-6).
CYA = 70
CC = not enough to register really so less then .5
PH = 7.3
TA = 50
CH = 100

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OCLT showed 0 drop in FC. Was actually surprised it was 0 drop, but thats what it was.

I turned off SWCG at 8PM, took a sample around 9:30 PM and tested and came out with a reading of 8.5. Got up at 5Am this morning, went out and tested and was still at 8.5.

So I assume this strictly leaves the issue to be the filter. I am thinking of doing a deep clean maybe.

So the issue was absolutely filtration.

I ran the pump 24 hrs per day since I first made this post. Yesterday, I added DE. Pressure jumped up over 25 PSI so backwashed and kept it running. Today woke up and the pool was crystal clear. Threw a quarter in and the kids identified heads, swam down and confirmed. I could see heads or tails but I could see it if it was 2 feet from me, much less 8 feet down.

Anyway, im planning the switch to DE filter. I think it will server me much better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.