Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy in Deep End

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy in Deep End

My pool has always been crystal clear. I started using TFP methods from the beginning and run a salt cell.

Recently over the past few weeks we have had lots of storms. The storms caused the water to be cloudy and I cannot seem to get it clear. I don't think it looks green at all, just kind of hazy.

FC=10 (I cranked it up a bit knowing rains were coming typically keep it around 5-6).
    CYA = 70
    CC = not enough to register really so less then .5
    I dont have my other numbers handy but they have all consistently been in normal range.

2015-06-22 13.22.35.jpg

The shallow end looks pretty clear.

2015-06-22 13.37.09.jpg

Any ideas on what is causing cloudy deepend? its very frustrating as I pride myself on how clear my water is.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Cloudy in Deep End

I would bring it to SLAM levels for a few days and keep the filter running 24/7 to clear it up.

Have you tried an OLCT.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

The storms themselves really shouldn't effect your water clarity. Sometimes something just gets in there even when our numbers don't rationalize it which is why the SLAM PASS criteria also includes "water clear". To be sure though, you could do an OCLT overnight. A drop of more than 1 ppm of FC during the hours of darkness would indicate you do indeed need to SLAM. Get it while it's still early.

- - - Updated - - -

I got in Juuuust a bit late on that one.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I will try OCLT tonight, but isnt the fact that CC is non-existent telling me there is no organics in the water needing broken down and using chlorine?
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

Actually it's not the only indicator of a problem. There have been algae cases where the CC was zero.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Could it be that the rain aerated the water and the pH is higher? With a vinyl liner pool you don't need CH so I wouldn't think your pool is saturated with calcium carbonate, but perhaps you could post a complete set of numbers (FC, CC, pH, TA, CYA, CH) to be sure.

I think it's more likely the storm put debris (pollen, seeds, leaves, bugs, fine dust or dirt, etc.) into the pool and that this is primarily a filtration issue. Since you have a sand filter you can see how to Add DE to a Sand Filter for finer filtration and then run the filter 24/7 and it should clear up.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Actually it's not the only indicator of a problem. There have been algae cases where the CC was zero.
    They could see the patches of algae on the wall! Wild but true.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Ill get my full numbers this evening. I too think its just dirty as I am using my robot and am getting fine silt off the floor.

9. Back To Top    #9

Here are all my numbers.
    FC=10 (I cranked it up a bit knowing rains were coming typically keep it around 5-6).
    CYA = 70
    CC = not enough to register really so less then .5
    PH = 7.3
    TA = 50
    CH = 100

10. Back To Top    #10

Have you done a OCLT yet? THAT will tell you if it is dirt or something yucky. Here is a link to it.

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Doing OCLT tonight.

12. Back To Top    #12

OCLT showed 0 drop in FC. Was actually surprised it was 0 drop, but thats what it was.

I turned off SWCG at 8PM, took a sample around 9:30 PM and tested and came out with a reading of 8.5. Got up at 5Am this morning, went out and tested and was still at 8.5.

So I assume this strictly leaves the issue to be the filter. I am thinking of doing a deep clean maybe.

13. Back To Top    #13

So the issue was absolutely filtration.

I ran the pump 24 hrs per day since I first made this post. Yesterday, I added DE. Pressure jumped up over 25 PSI so backwashed and kept it running. Today woke up and the pool was crystal clear. Threw a quarter in and the kids identified heads, swam down and confirmed. I could see heads or tails but I could see it if it was 2 feet from me, much less 8 feet down.

Anyway, im planning the switch to DE filter. I think it will server me much better.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by ssgumby View Post
    Anyway, im planning the switch to DE filter. I think it will server me much better.
    I wouldn't rush to switch. Sand filters do a very good job, and actually filter better once they get a little dirty. Don't be too quick to backwash, just wait for the pressure to rise 25% over clean.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

15. Back To Top    #15

I add enough DE to my sand filter to raise psi by 1 after every backwash. Love my sand filter!

16. Back To Top    #16

I love my sand filter. To me it is the best of both worlds, sand and DE, because I can add DE when I want to but have the ease of use/cleaning with a sand filter.

Kim