New Pool is up and filling slowly - Need Help with plumbing questions

DrC

May 9, 2007
Ohio
I had a awesome Father's Day. We just replaced our old 24' ABG pool with a new Sharkline Matrix 24' x 54" from Pool Supply World thanks Fernando for the great customer service. I am going to use the old Pump & Filter over as it is already plumbed using PVC and includes my solar controls.

I would like to convert to Saltwater starting with a budget Krystal Klear Sysytem and adapt it into my current PVC plumbing. I am attaching pictures of the current plumbing layout inside my little pump house. I do have room for the SWG inside the pump house but not quite sure how to make the connections.

I plan on running the SWG at night using it's built in timer and a timer on my pump low speed.

Am I correct that I need to connect the SWG after the filter and then make a new exit through the wall to the Pool Return. I would put a 90 turn on the current return line connect to the SWG and then make a new exit line out to my return. By doing this the water running through the solar system will also be flowing through the SWG while it is not operating, is that a problem?

I will be installing the skimmer and return tonight after work (weather permitting again) and hope to start on redoing the PVC so any replies, suggestions, or advice from all is appreciated.

Dennis

Attachments

• Pump and Filter Labeled.jpg
    Pump and Filter Labeled.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Plumbing 2 Labeled.jpg
    Plumbing 2 Labeled.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 124
jblizzle,

My apologies for not being more clear. Photo one shows the white square where I could put the Krystal Klear SWG, the Purple arrow in where my current return goes through the wall of the pump house. I would cut that line and add a 90 degree PVC turn to go to the SWG (any brand) and then cut a new hole in the wall for the return line. Does that make it any more clear. Reading other threads on SWG it looks like budget may not be my best choice but having just bought the new pool I was hoping to go that way.

Thanks for the reply,
Dennis

Yeah, the new hole in the shed seems required due to space. That makes sense.

You may need to run your pump a good bit for the Intex to make enough FC for your pool. Luckily looks like you have a 2-speed pump.

Yes I do have a 2 speed pump. The automatic solar controller runs the pump on sunny days from about 9am till 6 or 7pm. I am thinking of adding a separate timer to run the pump on Low Speed at night from like 9pm till 7am for the SWG also using the built in timer on the Krystal Klear unit to run the SWG.

My concern there would be on cloudy days that the Solar System does not kick in. Would the SWG come on and the pump would not come on. Could this damage the SWG or do they (any brand) not turn on if there is no water flow detected? Sorry for all the questions but want to do it right the first time.

Sounds like you have a bit of an odd setup. Usually you have the pump run during the day and the solar turns the valve on/off as needed. Are you saying the pump will not run at all on a cloudy day when you do not get solar heat?

Usually SWGs are powered by the same timer as the pump, so they are on when the pump is on and off when the pump is off. You do not want to run the SWG with the pump is off.

What automation do you have? Add that to your signature.

Could this damage the SWG or do they (any brand) not turn on if there is no water flow detected?.

They have a flow detector. It will beep for a minute, then shut itself off if there is no water flowing.

They will work off of an external timer or switch if you wish. You can set it up to run anywhere from 1 to 8 hours each time it is powered on. This is how I run mine.

jbizzle

The Solar controller is a Goldline GL-235 model and I added it to me Signature. When the water temp is less than 4 degrees of the panel temp the controller opens the valve and turns the pump on High Speed. Maybe I just need to figure out how to use it.

jeffchap

Thanks for the reply. I have seen some of the Krystal Klear models at a budget price on eBay and they are also on sale this week at our local Rural King Store. I just need to check the models for comparison and make sure I get one that will work for our pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Intex SWG I have is for up to 15,000 gal pools. My pool is 4100 gal so I am still trying to figure out what time frame to run my setup at. I just installed it this weekend. It has up to 12hr timer. HERE is a link they are like $75 and $15 shipping on amazon.

I have ordered the Krystal Clear SWG, model CG-28669 with E.C.O. off the Amazon link and 2 of the Game 4560 adapters to connect it to my Flexible PVC plumbing. I will be wiring the low speed side of my pump to a timer to run from 8:45pm till 6:15am every night to start with. I then will program the SWG to run from 9:00pm till 6:00am, a span of 9 hours and adjust from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.