Hello. New Pool Owner from New Jersey.

Jun 22, 2015
New Jersey
Hello Everyone,

Bought a house last year with a pool. First time owning a pool so I have a lot questions. With a lot of research and help from a family member I managed to open up the pool for the summer. My water is nice and clear and everything seems good. My question is regarding the valves. When I try to empty out the basket near the pump I have water overflowing. I've tried closing all the valves but that didn't seem to help. I have a multi-port valve and someone said It could be the spider gasket. I decided to open up the Multiport valve to inspect the gasket with all valves closed and pump off but I had water coming out of there too. I had to turn the valve to recirculate to prevent water from overflowing I still had some water come out of the D.E filter into the multiport valve. The spider gasket on the outside looked pretty good but I couldn't take it out to inspect it further as water was constantly flowing through the valve. I also have an offline chlorinator I want to put in but I'm afraid if I make a hole the water will start to come out of the pipes. I've tried everything from plugging the skimmer holes and return holes, closing all the drains and returns. So I'm stumped. Even with the multiport valve in the closed position I seem to get water going through the pipes. I'm thinking one of my valve diverters needs to be replaced but I'm not sure. Also need help in installing the off line chlorinator. The way the pipes are set up I'm not sure where to drill the hole. I will try to upload my setup when I get the chance but any help with preventing the water going through the pipes would be most appreciated.

Hello and welcome! :wave: I have no doubt you will receive feedback on your questions. In the meantime, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Signature updated. My setup is similar to the setup in the link below with the exception that I have a Energy filter to power the vacuum. I am pretty new to maintaining a pool so excuse me if I ask questions that may seem like easy questions to pool owners. I'm looking to install an off line chlorinator. The installation seems pretty straight forward but I'm not sure where the in and out holes should be drilled. Also I have problem with closing off the water from the pool to the pipes. Even if I close all the valves and put the multi-port on the closed position I still get water flowing through the pipes. Any help or information would be most appreciated.

http://www.poolcenter.com/images/static_pages/poolcare/jandy_plumbing_diagram_pg2.jpg

Ok I've been reading about chlorinators on this site and now I am not sure if I should have it installed. There seems to be mixed reactions using a chlorinator. Is a chlorinator worth installing? For now I have a floater with chlorine pucks floating around my pool as I've read putting the tabs in the skimmer is not recommended. Would appreciate any opinions.

I think the first thing you need to do is work on your valves to see what is going on with those. There has to be a way to keep the water from coming out.

Are you sure you turned the valves to CLOSED? I do not have those nice valves so do not know how they work.

You say you have tried plugging the returns and skimmer. There is still the main drain that flows water out of the pool.

It might take some do and undoing to find out what does what.

Good luck!

Kim

Hi Kim,

I've tried every possible combination and the Jandy valves seem pretty straight forward that's why I am baffled as to how water is getting through with the valves closed. Hopefully I can chime in and help me find a solution if not I'm going to have call for service.:(