Is there any disadvantage to using 115V compared to 230V ?

NeedMoreSun

LifeTime Supporter
I left my booster pump at 230V, because that's the way it comes as well as what the old one was. However, I'm now going to add a surge suppressor and running out of breaker spots :( I'll only have a single 1" space left for any future use. If I drop the booster down to 115V I can add the surge suppressor and still have room for a double pole for a possible heater.

I'm not adding a heater anytime real soon, but before taking care of surge protection I'd like to have the breaker placement how I'd like them in that scenario and convert the booster.

It will pull double the amps on 115V as it will on 230v (same total power). So you need to be sure the wire gauge would be large enough to be able to carry the higher amps without too significant of a voltage drop.

Oh, yeah, I should have thought ahead to point out I knew that part :) Not a long conduit run and easy to fix that. It's is on a 15A double pole with 14Awg and about a 5 foot run and I'd have to pull 12awg through to put it on a 20A single pole.

On the OLD pad the booster shared a circuit so everything was 12awg and I have a pile of it recovered from the old stuff. With the back of the pump and wiring area so tight re-doing that part is what I'd rather avoid, lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.