Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is there any disadvantage to using 115V compared to 230V ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is there any disadvantage to using 115V compared to 230V ?

I left my booster pump at 230V, because that's the way it comes as well as what the old one was. However, I'm now going to add a surge suppressor and running out of breaker spots I'll only have a single 1" space left for any future use. If I drop the booster down to 115V I can add the surge suppressor and still have room for a double pole for a possible heater.

I'm not adding a heater anytime real soon, but before taking care of surge protection I'd like to have the breaker placement how I'd like them in that scenario and convert the booster.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is there any disadvantage to using 115V compared to 230V ?

It will pull double the amps on 115V as it will on 230v (same total power). So you need to be sure the wire gauge would be large enough to be able to carry the higher amps without too significant of a voltage drop.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Half the voltage means twice the amperage. So your current circuit breaker and wiring might not be big enough.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh, yeah, I should have thought ahead to point out I knew that part Not a long conduit run and easy to fix that. It's is on a 15A double pole with 14Awg and about a 5 foot run and I'd have to pull 12awg through to put it on a 20A single pole.

On the OLD pad the booster shared a circuit so everything was 12awg and I have a pile of it recovered from the old stuff. With the back of the pump and wiring area so tight re-doing that part is what I'd rather avoid, lol.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.