Dead Hayward T cell 15 best option ?

Nov 16, 2012
Houston Tx
Hi guys,

Its been a while since I have posted as everything has been going great with the pool for the last few months...

Unfortunately I think my SWG has finally expired.. im not surprised as the salt reading has been dropping since I moved in 3 yrs ago and I have been compensating with bleach and "tricking" the SWG by resetting and grabbing a high reading as the average on the controller...

Bad practice I know but its kept me "balanced" for a good while at minimal cost...

Anyway, what are everyone's experiences with generic replacements ? I have seen them from various outlets & websites ranging from around $250 to $400 with the legit Hayward being significantly higher... if Im gonna drop hundreds on a new one I want direct replacement no hassle and a decent life ( I think the original has made it since the pool was originally installed which is at least 7 yrs )

The current process of adding bleach etc by hand is starting to become tedious especially in these summer months with the sun burning the Cl up....

My only concern about going cheaper with a replacement is the potential short life ? has anyone had good luck with generics ?

Thanks,

SS

Hello SS and welcome back! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

I think there are a few threads that discuss the various replacement options. There were some members that I think were going to get the generic cells, but I am not sure we have heard any feedback.

Thanks for the responses guys, 409 for a legit cell is a pretty good price but I'm a Scotsman and if there's any way to save a few bucks then I'm gonna jump on that !

That's why I was trying to find any feedback on actual experiences with the generics... the idea of a clear body so you can visually check plate condition and actually "see" the generation ( if that's really possible ?? bubbles maybe ?? ) would be cool too.. most of the cheap cells have transparent bodies..

All the best,
SS

Watch out for the Amazon cell, it only has a one year warranty and you can find cells for the same price or less with 3 year warranties.

Ping, that is kind of interesting that the Amazon cell would only have a 1 year warranty. I assumed all Hayward equipment comes with the 3 year. Stuff on Amazon can be a little tricky sometimes...you have to read everything in the description

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My first Hayward T-15 cell lasted well over 7 years. That works out to about $57 a year chlorine cost for a 20k pool in very, very sunny Tucson, where our pools are open year-round.

Why on earth would anyone buy some off brand cell in an effort to save a few dollars on initial cost? I'll bet that, when that cell fails before the end of its warranty they will blame it on a problem with the Hayward control unit. Is anyone out there really getting more than 7 years of service out of an off-brand cell?

Very good point. I did not buy my Aqua Rite system @ eBay because there was a note "Swim Pure Plus is the same as the Hayward Aquarite -- depending on which warehouse ships, you may receive one or the other." So a paid more @ Amazon to ensure I got the Aqua Rite brand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.