Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dead Hayward T cell 15 best option ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dead Hayward T cell 15 best option ?

Hi guys,

Its been a while since I have posted as everything has been going great with the pool for the last few months...

Unfortunately I think my SWG has finally expired.. im not surprised as the salt reading has been dropping since I moved in 3 yrs ago and I have been compensating with bleach and "tricking" the SWG by resetting and grabbing a high reading as the average on the controller...

Bad practice I know but its kept me "balanced" for a good while at minimal cost...

Anyway, what are everyone's experiences with generic replacements ? I have seen them from various outlets & websites ranging from around $250 to $400 with the legit Hayward being significantly higher... if Im gonna drop hundreds on a new one I want direct replacement no hassle and a decent life ( I think the original has made it since the pool was originally installed which is at least 7 yrs )

The current process of adding bleach etc by hand is starting to become tedious especially in these summer months with the sun burning the Cl up....

My only concern about going cheaper with a replacement is the potential short life ? has anyone had good luck with generics ?

Thanks,

SS
    20x40ft irregular IG pool around 20,000 gall plaster/tile, cartridge filter, Hayward pumps ( currently 2 speed Century motor burnt out high speed coil ) with SWG & Polaris on seperate circuit, all installed around 2005, various test kits usually HTC for PH & Clorine twice a week.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dead Hayward T cell 15 best option ?

Hello SS and welcome back! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I think there are a few threads that discuss the various replacement options. There were some members that I think were going to get the generic cells, but I am not sure we have heard any feedback.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you looked at Amazon? I searched for "turbo cell t-15" and it pulls the Hayward/goldline/aquarite brand for 409. This looks like the original that you want - not a generic

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the responses guys, 409 for a legit cell is a pretty good price but I'm a Scotsman and if there's any way to save a few bucks then I'm gonna jump on that !

That's why I was trying to find any feedback on actual experiences with the generics... the idea of a clear body so you can visually check plate condition and actually "see" the generation ( if that's really possible ?? bubbles maybe ?? ) would be cool too.. most of the cheap cells have transparent bodies..

All the best,
    SS
    20x40ft irregular IG pool around 20,000 gall plaster/tile, cartridge filter, Hayward pumps ( currently 2 speed Century motor burnt out high speed coil ) with SWG & Polaris on seperate circuit, all installed around 2005, various test kits usually HTC for PH & Clorine twice a week.

6. Back To Top    #6

Watch out for the Amazon cell, it only has a one year warranty and you can find cells for the same price or less with 3 year warranties.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

took a gamble went with the transparent copy from ebay with a 2 year warrantee ( total replacement ) for $265 delivered, just waiting for the postman to deliver.. hopefully it will work well..

SS

8. Back To Top    #8

Keep us updated on the performance. There was a post the other day where one member bought a rebuilt cell off ebay and it just died after 2 years.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    Watch out for the Amazon cell, it only has a one year warranty and you can find cells for the same price or less with 3 year warranties.
    Ping, that is kind of interesting that the Amazon cell would only have a 1 year warranty. I assumed all Hayward equipment comes with the 3 year. Stuff on Amazon can be a little tricky sometimes...you have to read everything in the description
    Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

One thing about buying pool equipment on the internet, you need to double check the store's fine print and also the manufacturer's website to make sure they match.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

My first Hayward T-15 cell lasted well over 7 years. That works out to about $57 a year chlorine cost for a 20k pool in very, very sunny Tucson, where our pools are open year-round.

Why on earth would anyone buy some off brand cell in an effort to save a few dollars on initial cost? I'll bet that, when that cell fails before the end of its warranty they will blame it on a problem with the Hayward control unit. Is anyone out there really getting more than 7 years of service out of an off-brand cell?
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Very good point. I did not buy my Aqua Rite system @ eBay because there was a note "Swim Pure Plus is the same as the Hayward Aquarite -- depending on which warehouse ships, you may receive one or the other." So a paid more @ Amazon to ensure I got the Aqua Rite brand.
    Free form 17X30. 14,500 Gal. Pentair sand filter and 1.5 hp pump. Aqua-Rite SWCG. TF-100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Gold line, AquaRite, Hayward, Swim Pure, it's all the same unit.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Chief, I get the point. When I searched the sellers web site, I could not even buy the Swim Pure from them direct so I got a little hesitant - ie, "yeah we have this collecting dust in the corner and we need to get rid of them."