Chlorine Evaporation - Fast!

GKPOOL

Jun 19, 2015
Willow Creek, CA
I'm new to pools and this forum, but look forward to all help on this subject.

I followed directions on the site and got rid of my algae problem. Water looked beautiful afterward.

Then I had an issue with very high CYA. I again followed the directions and drained off about 25% and refilled.

Since then, I continue to have issues with chlorine loss. I switched to liquid chlorine as recommended, but I'm now going through large amounts (at least 1 gal/week). We do experience high day time temps (90+) and significant direct sun.

Here are my pool data:

6700 gallon vinyl liner pool
TA = 140
CYA = 60-70
CH = 350
pH = 7.5
TC = 3.0 - this drops to <0.5 within 12-18 hours

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

It is normal to lose 2-3ppm of FC per day to the sun. So a gallon every 4-6 days would be normal.

You are keeping your FC WAY too low and thus are allowing things to start to grow in the water again. With a CYA of 70ppm, your FC should NEVER be allowed to drop below 5ppm ... you should be targeting at least 8ppm everyday. See the FC/CYA Chart.

At this point you may need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process or at least Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if there is something lurking in the water.

1 gallon a week is pretty low consumption.

Even if it's a full gallon of the high-strength 12.5% pool chlorine, that's only 19 FC/week, which is less than 3/day, which is good for a lot of sun. If it's a 121 oz jug of standard clorox laundry bleach, that's 12 FC/week, which is less than 2 FC/day, which is low.

You have to feed it every day.

I agree. With a 6,700 gal sized vinyl pool in the CA sun, I think that's pretty good. :sun: So enjoy! And by the way ... welcome to TFP! :wave: At some point, please don't forget to add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Have a great day!

I'm new to pools and this forum, but look forward to all help on this subject.

I followed directions on the site and got rid of my algae problem. Water looked beautiful afterward.

Then I had an issue with very high CYA. I again followed the directions and drained off about 25% and refilled.

Since then, I continue to have issues with chlorine loss. I switched to liquid chlorine as recommended, but I'm now going through large amounts (at least 1 gal/week). We do experience high day time temps (90+) and significant direct sun.

Here are my pool data:

6700 gallon vinyl liner pool
TA = 140
CYA = 60-70
CH = 350
pH = 7.5
TC = 3.0 - this drops to <0.5 within 12-18 hours

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.
As mentioned your chlorine is way too low for your CYA. You most likely have an algae bloom.

What test kit is giving these results? It would be much better to understand the makeup of that TC- how much is FC & how much is CC?

Dom

That's the way to do it!

My CYA is lower than yours and I still target 8 every day just to be safe. I usually use 2-3 FC a day. I'm actually thinking about moving my CYA up to 40 (With all the rain here and a few backwashes I'd be surprised if I'm still over 30)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.