Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Evaporation - Fast!

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Evaporation - Fast!

I'm new to pools and this forum, but look forward to all help on this subject.

I followed directions on the site and got rid of my algae problem. Water looked beautiful afterward.

Then I had an issue with very high CYA. I again followed the directions and drained off about 25% and refilled.

Since then, I continue to have issues with chlorine loss. I switched to liquid chlorine as recommended, but I'm now going through large amounts (at least 1 gal/week). We do experience high day time temps (90+) and significant direct sun.

Here are my pool data:

6700 gallon vinyl liner pool
    TA = 140
    CYA = 60-70
    CH = 350
    pH = 7.5
    TC = 3.0 - this drops to <0.5 within 12-18 hours

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Evaporation - Fast!

Welcome to TFP!!!

It is normal to lose 2-3ppm of FC per day to the sun. So a gallon every 4-6 days would be normal.

You are keeping your FC WAY too low and thus are allowing things to start to grow in the water again. With a CYA of 70ppm, your FC should NEVER be allowed to drop below 5ppm ... you should be targeting at least 8ppm everyday. See the FC/CYA Chart.

At this point you may need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process or at least Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if there is something lurking in the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

1 gallon a week is pretty low consumption.

Even if it's a full gallon of the high-strength 12.5% pool chlorine, that's only 19 FC/week, which is less than 3/day, which is good for a lot of sun. If it's a 121 oz jug of standard clorox laundry bleach, that's 12 FC/week, which is less than 2 FC/day, which is low.

You have to feed it every day.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree. With a 6,700 gal sized vinyl pool in the CA sun, I think that's pretty good. So enjoy! And by the way ... welcome to TFP! At some point, please don't forget to add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Have a great day!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by GKPOOL View Post
    I'm new to pools and this forum, but look forward to all help on this subject.

I followed directions on the site and got rid of my algae problem. Water looked beautiful afterward.

Then I had an issue with very high CYA. I again followed the directions and drained off about 25% and refilled.

Since then, I continue to have issues with chlorine loss. I switched to liquid chlorine as recommended, but I'm now going through large amounts (at least 1 gal/week). We do experience high day time temps (90+) and significant direct sun.

Here are my pool data:

6700 gallon vinyl liner pool
    TA = 140
    CYA = 60-70
    CH = 350
    pH = 7.5
    TC = 3.0 - this drops to <0.5 within 12-18 hours

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.
    As mentioned your chlorine is way too low for your CYA. You most likely have an algae bloom.

What test kit is giving these results? It would be much better to understand the makeup of that TC- how much is FC & how much is CC?

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

A little delay due to the website issues, but thanks for all the comments. I kind of figured it just needs more chlorine than I first anticipated. I now have a 15gal carboy. That should help me keep up with it. Thanks again.

7. Back To Top    #7

Are you making sure to keep it above 5 now? It would be a shame to end up with a green pool when you have the tools to prevent it!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

8. Back To Top    #8

I think I've got it. I just wasn't clear on the volume it would take. It's now pumped up with chlorine and looks clear. I brushed and vacuumed and will keep the level up from here on out.

9. Back To Top    #9

That's the way to do it!

My CYA is lower than yours and I still target 8 every day just to be safe. I usually use 2-3 FC a day. I'm actually thinking about moving my CYA up to 40 (With all the rain here and a few backwashes I'd be surprised if I'm still over 30)
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer