Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do you attach a pump & filter from different brands

1. Back To Top    #1

How do you attach a pump & filter from different brands

I am going to be getting a 15' AGP soon. I only need a 1/2 HP pump and a cartridge filter. I can't find any that fit this requirement so I was planning on getting the following:

How do I connect these together to function together. I would be getting the 1.5" hose size for the filter, it just defaults to 2" on amazon but you can pick your size.

Also since it won't have the base attached, do you just rest it on like a piece of plywood or something?

1/2 HP Above Ground Pool Pump, Replacement Pool Pumps

Amazon.com : Hayward C7512 Star-Clear Plus 75-Square-Foot 2-Inch FIP Pipe Cartridge Pool Filter : Swimming Pool Cartridge Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do you attach a pump & filter from different brands

Creativity is the key many time with tryimg to mix/match parts for an AGP. The manufacturers like to use different size fittings and it can be a challenge making it all work. Some folks resort to PVC electrical fittings for some connections because some of them seem to fit some pools.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Creativity is the key many time with tryimg to mix/match parts for an AGP. The manufacturers like to use different size fittings and it can be a challenge making it all work. Some folks resort to PVC electrical fittings for some connections because some of them seem to fit some pools.

Interesting..... I guess since I'm not that handy I should try to buy one that is the same brand and has everything connected.
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

4. Back To Top    #4

If it was me and I was not real well versed in plumbing, I would just find a local plumber or pool repair company and have them come plumb it for you.

Might cost a little more however you know it will be done properly.

John
    AquaMaster Deluxe 8000 AGP, 5500 gallons, 12x18. Liquidator and Pool Rover JR.
    1st Pool so go easy on me I'm using a TF 100.

5. Back To Top    #5

Or you can take your stuff to Lowes/hd and walk around the plumbing aisle test fitting until you find stuff that fits.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I had the same problem when my pump died last year. Took pump, filter and old pump to a pool place and had them plumb the new pump to my filter. Super nice guy did it but it cost me $38. For me it was worth it. He also took the too short electric cord off the new pump and took the long cord off my old pump and put it on the new one.
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

Will a inter Krystal clear saltwater system hook up to a bestway brand pool