Raise PH level with Borax

Jun 18, 2015
Arlington, WA
Hello again, I bought my 20 mule Borax and now I just need to know how to use it to raise my PH level in my 15' by 36" above ground pool! I shocked it and now my chlorine is steady between 2-3 ppm but my PH seems to be lowering daily. Last night is was about a 6.8 or lower (my test kit only reads 6.8 or above) Can you all help me with the borax treatment? I don't have a Skimmer. ..not even sure what that is! I have just the filter system that cane with the pool, and on the top is where I put the 1 in chlorine tabs. Thanks so much!

This page from Pool School will tell you how to use the Borax (scroll down to Raising pH):
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Plug all your numbers into Pool Math (your TA level affects pH) and then you can figure how much you need:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

It would be really helpful if you could update your info with your state and your pool info in your signature. Recommendations about chemical levels will be very different whether you're in Arlington, VA or Arlington, TX or some other Arlington. Here's how:
Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

The tabs are what are causing your pH to drop and the tabs and the "shock" can cause an even bigger problem by adding too much CYA/stabilizer. See here and there is lots on the site that talks about the problems caused by using tabs and shock:
Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Check out this page that has pics of equipment including skimmers:
Pool School - Visual Encyclopedia of Pool Equipment

At the top of every page on the site is a link to Pool School. It's a great resource.

And a good test kit is a necessity, preferably the TF-100:
TFTestkits.net

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.