Inground-aboveground hybrid with partial glass

SPP

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2008
Indonesia
Guys,

Anyone out here with experience on a pool installed with glass. Yes, glass not Sea World type of arclylic.

This is a friend's pool.
Fixing glass on the deeper side of the pool is not a 100% success.
There is always some leak, very minor but a leak is a leak.

The difficulty is getting a sealant that will stick well on stainless steel, steel, concrete and glass.
I have been training his pool boy on BBB method and so far so good.

I know sooner or later ( maybe next 2 years max ) the glass has to be re-assembled and the steel support need to go away and repaced with stainless steel and better sealant.

When it was first built, I tried to get involved on the calculation of the glass part of the pool since I worry that it will break.
I found a calculation method on the internet by some aquarium guy and cross check with a local glass factory and finally I decided to get my friend to install a last minute middle support pillar instead of having the glass so wide apart. Having the glass wider a part is the risky part. So instead of 3 pieces of glass, it became 6. Better safe than sorry.

At one stage I heard a supplier doing arcylic made a quotation and he wanted US$200,000 just for 3 pieces of arcylic complete with special frames, all made in USA. It was just too expensive.

The last minute pillars ( white color, 3 of them ) are made of steel is because getting 316L stainless that size was difficult to source and so it was decided lets test the glass with epoxied steel frame for the middle pillars.

This is a concrete pool.

Thanks in advance.

SPP

Attachments

• RS pool v1.jpg
    RS pool v1.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 504
  • RS pool v4.jpg
    RS pool v4.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 504
The intention of the glass being installed was actually for my friend to be able to watch his kids dive and video them from outside. So no need underwater camera.

The second intention is for us to practice target shooting with our speargun and able to video it easier from outside.
However there is a mistake here. The glass is made also as part of the overflow. When water overflow on the glass, the vision is distorted and stain build up on the glass, the outisde part when the water get dried up.... :mrgreen:

This is a double laminate glass of I think 4 cm thick or so, I can't remember.

What else is a problem with this pool....

01. Leaking water inlets fitting, loosing water.
from-where-is-my-pool-leaking-t10295.html

02. Poor surface water movement in the kids pool ( the smaller pool ).
The pump room is below the deepest part of the pool. At least 6 feet deeper, I mean the position of the impeller housing.
The pool uses two pumps. One pump feed the left side water inlets of the deeper adult pool.
The other pump feeds water inlets below the glass ( 3 of them ) and all water inlets on the kids pool.
The pressure loss on the kids pool is greater due to distance and those water inlets being much higher than the adult pool, so it makes waterflow so weak in the kids pool. The bad effect is that the kids pool water surface does not move fast enough to send the airborne dust on water surface to the overflow. The overflow is the entire left side of the deep pool and the glass part, that's it.

So what I did is, use the pump which is supposed to be dedicated for the vacuum robot, set the suction to be sourced from the deeper pool and the discharge into the kids pool. At the end of the discharge, I placed the 1 micron Jumbo Slime Bag. So aside from having surface water movement, the water gets fine filtration too. It just a bit ugly having a Jumbo Slime Bag everday in the kids pool.

Attachments

• RS pool v2.jpg
    RS pool v2.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 496
Hello guys,

Glass is strong , no worry. The weakness of glass is on the side. I seen how one does a "cracked" glass table.
3 layers. Normal + cracked + normal glass. Juts take a light weight metal hammer and hit the glass side and being a temepered glass...the crack forms nicely.... :mrgreen:

Cheers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.