Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need some advice, in a battle!

1. Back To Top    #1

Need some advice, in a battle!

25600 non-SWG AGP
    Started Slamming Thursday (Today is Monday) and no noticable changes in water.
    Am I being impatient or missing something?

Current:
    FC: 14
    PH: 7.6
    TA: 80
    CYA: ~40 (was 30 but added enough to bring to 40 last night)
    The pool sits in direct sunlight all day.

I was maintianing 12 or better and havent let the FC drop below 5 since I started.
    The overnite test shows FC loss of about 4 ppm. The water in the test tube is clear but I cannot see the bottom.

I just thought by now I would start to notice some improvement. I have been brushing the pool regularly.

Any suggesstions? Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need some advice, in a battle!

Welcome to TFP!

Are you SLAMing to get rid of algae? How does your chlorine loss between tests now compare to what it was when you first started to SLAM? The first sign that a SLAM is working will be reduced chlorine loss.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Have you scooped all debris out of the pool? Brushing daily? When did you add CYA. With 40 you need to raise your chlorine target, Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Maybe some before and today pics will help?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!!

I'm not sure why you raised the CYA during a SLAM, but it it done. Adjust your shock level to 16.

Lets get down to basics, as John asked - why the SLAM? Algae, cloudy water, other reason?
    It would help us if you would add the following information to your signature

• The size of your pool in gallons
    • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
    • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
    • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
    • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
    • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
    • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Information in your signature will show up each time you post. Signatures need to fit on five lines. It is fine to put several bits of information on the same line.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

What kind of filter do you have?

What test kit?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by tommyd901
    I was maintianing 12 or better and havent let the FC drop below 5 since I started.
    Remember, the most important part of the SLAM is the M for Maintain - as in maintaining FC as close to the shock/SLAM target (16 ppm for your pool) throughout the entire process. Wouldn't sweat it if FC varies a couple of points in either direction of the target, but letting it drop to 5 ppm is not Maintaining FC. The closer you are able to maintain FC to the target, the faster the process will go.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

8. Back To Top    #8

Hey guys, when I started the CYA was slightly less than 30 so I used 30 and according to shock level for my pool it said to keep 12.
    The one time drop to 5 was during the day so I know sun was a big factor. I can test morning and evening but working during the day does not allow me to stand by all day, the day I started the SLAM I kept it up hourly until there was no real drop during that hour then I moved to 2-3 times a day. Since it was the weekend I was able to test it throughout the day and kept it up to 12. Last night I increased the FC to 19 just in case this is yellow algae but have no specific reason to suspect it is. This morning it was at 14 so I didn't add anymore, I just added CYA last might to get over 30 since it was reading slightly less than 30 (the black dot disappeared when the water was at the top).
    I will test and add bleach when I get home. I regularly brush (twice a day) and removed what debris I could find.

I am using the taylor k-2006 test kit and have a large sand filter on a 2HP pump. I have backwashed then rinsed every other day or so.

I started the slam just after opening because of green cloudy water. Algae was visible on the bottom.
    In my top post I noted Non-SWG AGP. I will add to signature
    I have a vinyl liner
    2Hp Smith pump with big blue (swim pro) sand filter, hard piped, city water, no restrictions.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by tommyd901 View Post
    the day I started the SLAM I kept it up hourly until there was no real drop during that hour then I moved to 2-3 times a day. Since it was the weekend I was able to test it throughout the day and kept it up to 12.
    Pretty well perfect way to SLAM. There are two pieces to clearing a pool of algae: First is killing the algae. Seems like you have done that. Second is cleaning out the dead algae. That can be a little slower.

Are you seeing a pressure rise in your filter before you backwash? If not, let it go a little longer since a slightly dirty sand filter is a little better at filtering than a clean one. You can also add a little DE to your filter to make it filter a little better too.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok thanks I will do that. I didn't notice a significant increase in pressure just did it thinking it was the right thing.
    I do have an auto vac but haven't put it in. Should I try that?
    Tommy - 33ft round AGP, 26,500 gallons, Non-SWG, 2HP Smith Pump, Sand Filter. Built May 2014, Taylor K-2006.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by tommyd901 View Post
    25600 non-SWG AGP
    Started Slamming Thursday (Today is Monday) and no noticable changes in water.
    Am I being impatient or missing something?

Current:
    FC: 14
    PH: 7.6
    TA: 80
    CYA: ~40 (was 30 but added enough to bring to 40 last night)

Any suggesstions? Thanks

Just a quick suggestion---don't waste your reagents for ph/TA at this point...also, I'd probably stop testing CYA too, assume you've hit your your target of 40. Ph tests aren't reliable above FC of 10, and you can't do much about it now anyway mid-slam.
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok thanks, I did adjust the PH prior to starting so I wont worry about those for now. I will work harder on getting the dead algae out. I will post some pics when I get home. Everyone like pics!
    Tommy - 33ft round AGP, 26,500 gallons, Non-SWG, 2HP Smith Pump, Sand Filter. Built May 2014, Taylor K-2006.

13. Back To Top    #13

Sounds like your in the same rut as me.

Speaking of levels... did you know you can test using 10 ml of water and have each drop count as .5? Speeds it up and saves reagents. Also, you don't need two full scoops of powder. As long as you add enough to se one or two undissolved crystals after mixing it, you have enough. -Richard

That helped me and I'm already out and had to order more after this weekend.
    24" Round Above Ground 14000 Gallons, Pentair Sand Dollar Filter, 1.5 HP Pump, K-2006 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes, I use the 10 ml mark and count as .5

15. Back To Top    #15

I am seeing improvements. Patients is key and now that the bottom is becoming visible I am able to work on getting the dead algae out quicker. I cant get my pics to load.

16. Back To Top    #16

Hi, just a quick thought, and I'm certainly not a pro like most of the others around here. Shouldn't the Op have lowered the PH? If the original reading was 7.6 if your slamming shouldn't it be around 7.2?
    Anne
    24 foot round 52 inches AGP
    14,200 gallons of water
    Hayward cartridge filter
    TF-100 test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

We like to start a slam at 7.2. But, at the point 7.6 was read the FC was above 10 and therefore the PH test is not valid and no adjustments to PH should be made.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach