Just closed on house now I own a pool!

Jun 19, 2015
Moreau, NY
We closed on our house Friday and we are now the owners of a new pool. To prepare for owning a pool I have been studying what is required to maintain a pool. I found this site from the Youtube channel "Swimming Pool Tips, Reviews & How To -MrDgvb". When he was mentioning the BBB method. I thought I should check it out and did a bit of research into your new/old methods of pool care. My grandfather owned a pool growing up after talking with him a bit I realized he used the same methods this forum champions and I never remember being told "no, you can't swim this weekend because Grampie has a green pool". So I have already taken step one and Purchased a Taylor K2006(which will arrive tuesday). I will likely purchase the refill FAS/DPD from TFTestKits in the future.

So onto my pool.

The previous owner CLAIMED as of Thursday the pool was in balance and was good to swim in. During the walk through on Friday you could just barely make out the third step. He had no timer on the filter so I doubt it was being run regularly. Also he tossed the vacuum hose because it was cracked, he rarely used it because he had a PoolBlaster Max...which the charging cord is missing(house sat vacant about 6 months). There was also no brush, I guess the saving grace is it had a decent net and pole.

The Pool is obviously green and I dumped 2 gallons of 8.25% bleach in today assuming the pool had no chlorine(it smelled like a swamp), and I left the pump running. I understand I need to SLAM the pool but I want to wait until I can properly measure everything. I plan to add another gallon tomorrow maybe two if the cheap OTO tester from Wal-Mart reads 0 on chlorine again.

The current physical problems with the pool, in the disclosure it was worded as "The Vinyl liner is near the end of its life and will require replacement soon" visually the liner has pulled from its track in a couple of places and looks faded but the pool is maintaining its water level so I can assume there are no tear's(can't see the bottom see green above). I was planning on sourcing a liner this year and possibly replacing it at opening next year unless I feel it isn't necessary. I have a suction side Air leak(a good amount of bubbles coming from return jets but pump doesn't lose prime after being run for 3 hours...I babysat it) at the recommendation of the pool school(I think) I poured water over the pump strainer lid and the bubbles went away. I am sourcing a new gasket now I prefer to buy local if I can so I will check out the pool store that claims they stock Hayward parts, BUT I will not bring a water sample. Also I already mentioned the vacuum hose my only question about that is how long of a hose should I get? I don't want to walk into the pool store and buy just what they recommend, but again I would rather support my local economy then Amazon...if it can be helped. I will also grab a brush that is safe for a vinyl wall when I am there.

My biggest problem right now that I have no idea what to do about it, my dog decided he had to jump into the pool and then proceeded to panic when he had no idea how to get out but somehow he cracked the top step of the fiberglass stairs once I showed him where to go(he is older and I know he has fallen down stairs before and was scared to go down them for 2 weeks so I doubt he will try it again anytime soon). How do I Fix this and can I do it while I wait for my other equipment?

I understand you will want samples once my test kit arrives and I will post them. Here are some initial pictures I took They are rather large so I will just post links to them.
Return Jet with air bubbles
Cracked Step
The Green Monster!

Thank you for any help you can give me I have already learned A LOT and I already warned my wife we are probably going to go through about 20+ Gallons of bleach to get this safe to swim in(her only question was will it be safe adding that much I told her the bleach is like bullets once it kills something its used up and we have to reload with more!)

TLDR:
Green Pool - Will SLAM when my test kit arrives

Vacuum Hose - How Long?

Cracked Step - Can I fix and how?

Suction side leak - I think I got a handle on that.

Tim

PS: Sorry for the wall of text I just wanted to keep everything consolidated into one thread.

Howdy neighbor :cool: .... Delmar here.

You have a good handle on things for the most part. Once you get your kit post up the numbers and we can help. Sounds like you have the suction side leak figured out.

We can get 5 gallon jugs of 12.5 chlorine at the hardware stores here in NY and it is way less expensive that way so consider that instead of bleach. I actually buy 2.5 gallon jugs which cost a $1 more for 2 of those versus one 5 gallon since the smaller ones are easier to deal with.

I can't help with the step. As far as the hose you want it long enough to reach everywhere including the deep end at it's furthest point so it depends where your skimmer / vac port is. Mine is in the middle of the pool and i believe i have 30' of hose.

If you want some help feel free to PM me ..... i make it up your way regularly and actually have to be at the Inn at Saratoga today!

Welcome. I just want to commend you on doing your homework before you start ;) Good job...a trouble free pool is in your near future!

I truly don't know if this stair "hack" will work, but if its the smallish crack I think I saw, I might try a wee bit of 2-part marine epoxy...keeps boats afloat...should in theory hold a small crack at bay under water.

Cheers to clear!

Here's a link to the stuff that cures under water:
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-0-85-fl-oz-Marine-Epoxy-1405604/100371825

PS Re liner...you may be able to get it back in track yourself with a kettle of hot water to make pliable and careful tucking.

Well hello there! You are so going to love having your own pool!

We here at TFP will love having you here! You read and learned so much already! So NICE!

My husband seconds SW on the stuff she posted. He used in on his jetski! He says it is easy to work with. It will not be pretty but it will stop the water.

Hose-measure from where it connects and go about 1 foot more to make sure it will reach the walls.

WELCOME!

Kim

I will try the marine epoxy! I am sure I am way overthinking the vacuum hose but my skimmer is in the corner of the deep end. Using a little bit of math tells me the pool is 33.5' corner to corner and the pool is 3 ft deep at that end so I would either need a 35' or 40' hose. I guess I am not sure how much slack will I need on the hose.

My phone is possessed and posted for me in the middle of typing!

I have a 33ft round agp. My skimmer is on one side of my pool. I have my hose at 36 ft. That seems to allow it to get to the other side just fine.

You can always cut some off if it is too long BUT it is much harder to add if you need more. Go longer than you think and see what happens.

Kim

Marine Tex Amazon.com: Marine Tex The Mighty Repair Kit: Sports Outdoors is a two part epoxy product that is easy to work, sandable, and dries white. It's also tintable if you wanted to try to match the existing color on the steps. Fair warning - matching whites is an exercise in extreme patience.

If you have a boating supply store (like West Marine) locally they probably stock it.

If I was doing the repair, after lowering the water enough, I would clean the area really well, then scrape the crack into a "V" shape with a pen knife or very small flathead screwdriver. Clean again with acetone. Then slightly overfill the crack, after cure, sand to flush. Clean up and done. Protip: for small repairs like this I cut old gift cards into strips to use as stirring sticks/applicators.

edit: PS they also make it in a gray color and the boxes are almost identical. So if you go this route double check the color.

Welcome!

I'd say you have an excellent grasp of pool care already. It's amazing that the previous owner claimed that pool was balanced and swim ready. No offense but that water is gross. You're in good company here! That pool is going to look amazing in a short while. Then you'll be OCD about every spec of dirt you'll see on the bottom!

So I got the gasket and went ahead and got 40 ft of vacuum hose. Bad news the problem wasn't the gasket! The lid is cracked!! Back to the store I go! I did find out some good news the store I went to sells 5 gallon carboys(sp??) for 18 when you return the container you get 8 back!! I think I found where to get my chlorine!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is a awesome price for Chlorine. I bet it is 11%! Make sure to ask them to make sure.

I keep my jugs and reuse them. I use the 2.5 gal ones as I cannot handle the 5 gal ones (what a girl LOL). IF I ever do not want them any more I will get my deposit back.

Kim

I asked about refilling them, the lady said that they do not refill them at the store so they charge the 18 every time and give back the deposit. Funny thing when I was there a guy came in with a sample and the same lady I was talking to did the guys test saw it had no chlorine, she then asked him how the pool looked he said green. She immediately told him he would need one of those 5 gallon jugs probably more. I will probably keep using this store just based off this one experience.

I wonder where they get them filled???? Hummmmmmmmm it might be worthwhile to find out so you can cut out the middle man.

My ACE Hardware has a HUGE tank they refill the jugs from. During the summer they fill that tank up at least 2 times a week with fresh chlorine!

Kim

So I know you guys don't recommend guessing on chlorine but I tried to keep the OTO measurement at least reading today. So I put in 1 gallon of 8.25 this morning and it zero'd out by noon. So I put in another 2. I checked again around 4 and it nearly zero'd out again so I put in another two gallons. I figure while it may not kill the algae all that fast it is doing something, while I wait for the test kit. I vacuumed the bottom today since I got a new hose and brush and got my suction side leak fixed. I had to backwash twice during the vacuuming. I didn't want to vac to waste because I have not brought my garden hose over there yet! So I can't refill the pool. Boy did that stir up the algae, when we got there in the afternoon before I vac'd wife said it was starting to turn blue...After I vacuumed it was greener than yesterday! But the vacuuming was worthwhile I got a bunch of leave's off the bottom, so that is one less thing for the chlorine to work at. One thing I noticed is when I was vacuuming a lot of green goo was coming out of the returns. Is this normal? I am assuming since the filter can only do down to about 20 microns the stuff smaller than that passes through the filter and returns to the pool? Is this why towards the end of the slam a lot of people reccomend using a little DE to clear up the pool?

Kim - I plan on letting them keep my deposit and trade empty for full containers.

Some pictures from today's endeavours I figure it has to get worse before it gets better.

The Greener Monster

Steps I think its worse then yesterday!

My wife is being a great sport about all this she just wants the pool safe to swim in I am giving her the hope we might be able to swim this weekend but I think that may be over hopeful. Slam should start tomorrow I don't plan on returning to the pool tonight(its about 10 minutes from our apartment, won't be a problem during the slam) We will be painting all day so It won't be hard to take 5 minutes from time to time to check levels and adjust. I will post my results on here afterwards.

You can put a sock on your returns to catch that stuff before it comes out. Of course you will need to keep an eye on it and change them out often.

I am glad they will let you just trade for full ones. Pushing that money back and forth would get old.

Good luck with the painting! Wear a hat so you do not have to get it out of your hair. BUT if you are anything like me you will have it there any way!

Kim

So I have not made a post for a couple of days because as soon as I got my test kit the website went down! I am glad I did all of that reading ahead of time! Here is a recap of what has been going on.

Tuesday:

Test kit came in I tested the water here were my numbers
FC .5
CC 1.5
PH 7.2
TA 70
CH 350
CYA 0

Overall I was pretty happy my numbers at least I didn't have to do any dump and fills. So I brought my FC up to 10 because with painting and school letting out for my daughter I didn't have time to pick up any CYA. I did my best to maintain the 10 with everything else going on.

Wednesday:

Got back to the pool a little later then I wanted I got there at 9 the FC had dropped to 1 I brought it up to 15 and put in about 2/3 of a 8lb bag of CYA(I don't have a scale and the math said 6.75 pounds) I figured if its a bit low I can adjust next week. Since we are not living in the house yet I didn't have a sock to put it in, so I experimented! I placed the CYA in my leaf rake(after I was done getting all the dead bugs off the top of the pool) and rigged that in front of the skimmer and let it run all day. And we had some exciting news at around 3! We could almost see the bottom of the shallow end! I was vacuuming and I realized for the first time I could see the silhouette of the vacuum along the bottom of the pool. I work overnights so I taught my wife how to test the water for FC, so she tested it at 8 and it was at 15(I put a little bit extra in at 3 because I knew I might not be back until the morning...the liner is already faded). It is taking about 2-3 hours inbetween backwashes. So I cannot run the filter all night while I am at work.

Now my questions!
What do you suggest for filtering when you cannot supervise it(I don't want to ask wife she already has a lot on her plate with school out and a two month old)? I have been leaving the pump on and set to recirculate so it is still at least moving the water around. I understand nylons and skimmer socks can do some of the work but I understand you still have to check them otherwise you can starve the pump.

I have noticed when I backwash after I rinse and move the multiport back to filter I almost have to smack the top of the multiport to get it to stop leaking into the waste line. I pulled it apart and the spider gasket looks to be in serviceable condition (no tears, not rolled, no pinch's, not hard). Could the spring in the handle be shot and that is why I am having to give it some extra motivation in order to sit where it needs to?

Would you suggest that while I can supervise the filtering to put DE in to speed up the process?

I will be sleeping most of the day I already have requested the wife go every couple of hours to check the FC and showed her Pool calculator to adjust as needed I will be topping it off this morning on my way home from work. I don't think the pool will get much filtering I didn't show her how to backwash:(

When you can babysit by all means use the DE AND the skimmer sock.

Overnight filtering-until you can go the time needed during the day (for me that would be 9 hours) I would keep doing what you are doing-run it on recirculate to mix things up. Once you start seeing that your filter can do long enough to not need to be backwashed you can use the filter.

2 month old AND moved into a new house? That is a lot going on in your world! Add to that a pool that needs to be cleared WOW!

It will take time and bleach. Do the best you can. It will clear. It is just going to take a while.

HUGS!

Kim

It didn't pass an unofficial OCLT. I didn't expect it to but the timing was there, for one. I lost about 5PPM overnight topped it off left in recirc and going to bed. I think I will teach wife how to backwash later today. She is pretty motivated she wants to start swimming!

Just thought I would chime in. I was in your situation (or close enough: new house baby and toddler, green pool) a couple of months ago. My pool has a DE filter and since it took us a while to move in and I had no idea how to clean the filters, I ran the pool in recirculating mode for a quite a few days at the beginning of the SLAM. This gave me time to rake up most of the junk while the initial blasts of chlorine were doing their thing. It might not have been completely optimal regarding how long things took but it certainly worked for me. Good luck and keep at it, you will be swimming soon!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.