Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cooler Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Cooler Pool

Our dig is scheduled for tomorrow. Just talked with my son who has a pool in Georgia. He says the only problem they have with their pool is the water is sometimes too warm. Is there anything, outside of installing a chiller, we can add to the pool to help keep the water cool ? Do water features help ?
    Also, does the pool finish color ( we are using Wet Edge ) affect the water temperature?
    Houston,TX, IG 15120 gal, gunite, 22' x 36',wet edge finish, Pentair equip, 420 cartridge filter, vs pump, Intelliflo vs booster pump for water features, 400,000 heater, auto fill ,PCC 2000 in floor cleaning ,2 LED lights,travertine coping, paver decking, 9x12 tanning shelf ,1 LED color bubbler, 2 5' benches w jets. Depth 4- 4 1/2- 5 , wall with 3 24" sheer decent , 2 spray heads, Intellitouch Controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cooler Pool

Deck jets run in the early hours of the morning will drop the temp of a Houston pool a few degrees.
    The longer the arc the more heat transfer/evaporation.
    I thought the humidity here would stifle this effect but it absolutely works.
    I am hoping that running my waterfall for a couple of hours pre-dawn will have a noticeable effect on mine.
    Until it gets hot I can't really test the this method.
    40k gal freeform, IG pebblesheen, 9'x'6' raised spa, 2-1/2 hp Whisperflo, 520 sq/ft cartridge, Legend w/ booster, Intellibrite 5g in pool @ spa, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator(retired),
    Mastertemp 400k BTU, 3x3 hp Whisperflo Swimjets, 2x2 hp Whisperflow for 15ton moss rock waterfall, Intelitouch Controller, 850 sq/ft Travertine deck, Gas/Wood firepit,
    Autofill, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, running water features overnight will lower the temperature. So will running solar panels at night. Running water features will also raise your PH, so keep an extra eye on it. Darker colors tend to make pools a little warmer.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Deep pool, light plaster, shade on pool, spraying water, no spa.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well we won't have a deep pool, but hopefully the jet sprays and waterfalls will help. May choose a lighter Wet Edge finish. We moved here from Virginia, so Texas heat is something we're trying to get used to. Thanks for your help !
    Houston,TX, IG 15120 gal, gunite, 22' x 36',wet edge finish, Pentair equip, 420 cartridge filter, vs pump, Intelliflo vs booster pump for water features, 400,000 heater, auto fill ,PCC 2000 in floor cleaning ,2 LED lights,travertine coping, paver decking, 9x12 tanning shelf ,1 LED color bubbler, 2 5' benches w jets. Depth 4- 4 1/2- 5 , wall with 3 24" sheer decent , 2 spray heads, Intellitouch Controller.

6. Back To Top    #6

The pool makes the texas heat all better! Get hot, jump in pool, repeat.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by magicruiser View Post
    Well we won't have a deep pool, but hopefully the jet sprays and waterfalls will help. May choose a lighter Wet Edge finish. We moved here from Virginia, so Texas heat is something we're trying to get used to. Thanks for your help !
    After speaking with several neighbors regarding water temp who have white plaster pools and one with a darker plaster we decided to go with a lighter quartzscape, something called "blue". So far we really like it, also like the fact that the LED lights seem to be putting out true color on it. Glad we went with a lighter quartzscape vs. just plain white, seems to make it pop a bit.

It can get a bit warm here in Vegas and the last thing I wanted was to climb into a warm pool on a 110 degree day.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

8. Back To Top    #8

See my reply to this poster. It is near the end of the post. Cheap and effective.

Pool Temp too hot!!
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

ComputerGuy: What's the name of the brand and/or name of the fountain? Where did you buy it?

My pool doesn't even have water in it yet, but I like pool water to be as cool as possible in the summer. In the 70's would be great, but I realize I'm going to have to settle for lower than what it is without any devices!

Thanks!
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

10. Back To Top    #10

Suz, I got it off amazon. I am thing about getting a second one before it gets real hot in Louisiana.

Amazon.com : Flower Swimming Pool Fountain : Swimming Pool And Spa Parts And Accessories : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!