Backwash Valve

You also should shut the pump off before you rotate the handle, check here under the Sandfilter heading: Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

I had to order a rebuild kit for my sand filter that included a spider gasket and a few other things. My handle was also not hard to operate when I had this issue. I would splurge and get the rebuld kit/gasket and read over the article I posted above.

It definately is a frustrating problem to have.

Welcome! :wave:

Too bad it wasn't under happier circumstances. Do you have a push-pull valve, a multiport valve, or is the valve just a lever in the filter base?

Push-pulls have O-rings in them that can split and tear. Not a huge problem to replace if there isn;t a lot of corrosion in the pipe to resist pulling the stem out.

Multiports have a spider gasket that can fail. That's a fairly easy fix and you can find how-to videos on youtube, even.

The kind with the valve in the base (like mine) I'm sure has some kinds of O-rings inside, but I shudder to think how much work replacing them might be. That said, sometimes mine dribbles a little. I've learned to learned to leave the hose attached and run the filter a minutes to fill it, then shut it off and open and close the valve a few times and let gravity flush any stray bits of grit out, then make sure the handle is pushed all the way to the stop when closing it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.