Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwash Valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwash Valve

After backwashing when putting valve back to filter and disconnecting backwash hose to the street and turning pump back on water still pours out of backwash!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Benton, KY

Re: Backwash Valve

Welcome to TFP. Got a picture of it? Is the handle properly seated? Was the handle hard to operate? The spider gasket may have failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    33K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100XL

3. Back To Top    #3

Upstate NY, US

You also should shut the pump off before you rotate the handle, check here under the Sandfilter heading: Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

I had to order a rebuild kit for my sand filter that included a spider gasket and a few other things. My handle was also not hard to operate when I had this issue. I would splurge and get the rebuld kit/gasket and read over the article I posted above.

It definately is a frustrating problem to have.
    My pool: 13,500 gallons round pool, 24' w 52" above ground, hard sided pool. Jacuzzi 190L Sand Filter, 1 Horse Waterway pump, Robotic Vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Too bad it wasn't under happier circumstances. Do you have a push-pull valve, a multiport valve, or is the valve just a lever in the filter base?

Push-pulls have O-rings in them that can split and tear. Not a huge problem to replace if there isn;t a lot of corrosion in the pipe to resist pulling the stem out.

Multiports have a spider gasket that can fail. That's a fairly easy fix and you can find how-to videos on youtube, even.

The kind with the valve in the base (like mine) I'm sure has some kinds of O-rings inside, but I shudder to think how much work replacing them might be. That said, sometimes mine dribbles a little. I've learned to learned to leave the hose attached and run the filter a minutes to fill it, then shut it off and open and close the valve a few times and let gravity flush any stray bits of grit out, then make sure the handle is pushed all the way to the stop when closing it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!