Baffling Blower

selkov

Jun 20, 2015
jacksonville fl
Just moved into a new house and I was inspecting the spa blower. It is a Polaris QT 400. The wire conduit
was wired into the a/c box but the wires were not connected. This led me to believe there might be an issue with the unit. I removed it from the wall an noticed a sound of rattling from it. So I disassembled it on the bench to find 2 rusty screws and a washer inside. The give the appearance of mounting / assembly screws not from the unit. Si I assume some workman somehow dropped them in there.

Anyway-- The motor looks clean and all connections are not indicative of electrical issues, with exception of the ground which seems to have been loose due to an undersized screw [possible what fell into the unit? ] so I will button it up and wire it in and prey all is good.

One thing that is very evident is that all the foam [air filter? Baffles?] are dry rotted and turn to dust at the slightest touch. I have removed and cleaned all of it. After looking online for replacements I gave up. None are sold. There not even on the schematics.

So what I would like to know is:
Is it needed?
Can I operate without them?
Can I use A/C Fiberglass insulation?
Or is there something else you recommend?

Thanks
-Eds

Hello, I have the exact same question, and wondered if you had resolved this. I noticed that the parts lists I see online do show a "cylindrical part" in the exploded diagram that must be the foam filter (right under the cover). But there is no part # associated with it.

I tried calling Polaris support but I was told that they don't sell this part separately and I needed to buy a new blower... not going to happen :).

It seems to me that the foam was for insulation (noise) not for an air filter. Mine, despite 20 years, does not look dusty, and the owner's manual does not say anything about changing or cleaning the air filter, which you would expect it to. Does anyone know for sure?

I could find no solid solution. Many possible ones. As far as I can figure out it is there mainly to keep foreign matter out of the motor. I made a baffle from several foams and none of them quieted the motor appreciably but did seem to limit air flow.
As my motor is fairly high and well protected I opted to forgo any baffle at all. Seems to be OK.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.