Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Baffling Blower

1. Back To Top    #1

Baffling Blower

Just moved into a new house and I was inspecting the spa blower. It is a Polaris QT 400. The wire conduit
    was wired into the a/c box but the wires were not connected. This led me to believe there might be an issue with the unit. I removed it from the wall an noticed a sound of rattling from it. So I disassembled it on the bench to find 2 rusty screws and a washer inside. The give the appearance of mounting / assembly screws not from the unit. Si I assume some workman somehow dropped them in there.

Anyway-- The motor looks clean and all connections are not indicative of electrical issues, with exception of the ground which seems to have been loose due to an undersized screw [possible what fell into the unit? ] so I will button it up and wire it in and prey all is good.

One thing that is very evident is that all the foam [air filter? Baffles?] are dry rotted and turn to dust at the slightest touch. I have removed and cleaned all of it. After looking online for replacements I gave up. None are sold. There not even on the schematics.

So what I would like to know is:
    Is it needed?
    Can I operate without them?
    Can I use A/C Fiberglass insulation?
    Or is there something else you recommend?

Thanks
    -Eds

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Baffling Blower

I have no clue, but maybe this will give you the you need.

I'm not sure my blower has a filter. I have no clue what shape you;d even need. No chance you can use some open-cell foam from a crafts store? A chunk chopped out of an eggcrate mattress pad?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Those items are options but I was wondering what other people may have used.
    14000 gal kidney shaped in ground with spa. Paramount V3 pop up cleaner with six zones.
    1 Hp 1 Speed Reliant Pump. Pentair cartridge filter. No heater yet. uncovered.
    Jacksonville Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Walmart, Sears and other such stores sell round foam designed for shop vac type filters. Its made to pass air easily and obviously filter too. Maybe you can use that.
    40,000 Gallon Swimco vinyl liner inground pool, Hayward Perflex EC75, 3/4 hp pump, Jandy LRZ325EN gas heater

5. Back To Top    #5

If you measure it, I would imagine you could take it to a lawnmower shop who could match it up with a suitable filter...post a pic of it?
    17.4k gallon IG pool with attached spa (spa itself is 730gal), Super Blue Diamondbrite plaster, Circupool SI-45+ SWG, BH/Hayward Cartridge Filter, 2hp 2speed Hayward Super II pump, , Jandy Valves, Waterway Skimmers, Rheem 400k Heater, Polaris 360 cleaner, built 2000+-, replastered June 2015, TF-100 kit---Here's my pool test reading history

6. Back To Top    #6

Hello, I have the exact same question, and wondered if you had resolved this. I noticed that the parts lists I see online do show a "cylindrical part" in the exploded diagram that must be the foam filter (right under the cover). But there is no part # associated with it.

I tried calling Polaris support but I was told that they don't sell this part separately and I needed to buy a new blower... not going to happen .

It seems to me that the foam was for insulation (noise) not for an air filter. Mine, despite 20 years, does not look dusty, and the owner's manual does not say anything about changing or cleaning the air filter, which you would expect it to. Does anyone know for sure?

7. Back To Top    #7

I could find no solid solution. Many possible ones. As far as I can figure out it is there mainly to keep foreign matter out of the motor. I made a baffle from several foams and none of them quieted the motor appreciably but did seem to limit air flow.
    As my motor is fairly high and well protected I opted to forgo any baffle at all. Seems to be OK.
    14000 gal kidney shaped in ground with spa. Paramount V3 pop up cleaner with six zones.
    1 Hp 1 Speed Reliant Pump. Pentair cartridge filter. No heater yet. uncovered.
    Jacksonville Florida