Filling up Pool

Fmbiv

Jun 6, 2015
Bedford hills ny
Hi guys. I am filling up the (very) old pool at my new home for the first time with water from our well.

It is a 45k gallon, plaster, ig pool with a Hayward salt water system and a Hayward de filter.

We are a few days into the process of filling it.

I will try the sock method and drop granular stabilizing chlorine in and the add (I guess based on reading) a gallon of bleach a day.

My test kit and and granulated chlorine arrive Weds. I can start adding bleach as early as today.

I expect it to take most the week to fill it.

Do I need to slam it after that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you keep some FC in it as it fills, there should be no reason to SLAM a fresh fill.

Do you have metals in your well? Might keep an eye out for iron discoloring the water.

make a bucket filter. there is a thread about it here somewhere. a youtube video or two also. if i remember correctly, you poke holes in a bucket and fill it with fiberfill like for making pillows and stuff. then you run your hose into it. it should take out some of the iron before it can get into the pool. there is a hose attachment you can get too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did my first test last night.

No chlorine, No CYA, ph 7.0, alkalinity of 70.

Then I dropped 3 socks with granulated chlorine on floaties in the pool and poured in a big jug of Clorox.

Looking fwd to taking another reading this AM.

I have the Taylor k-2006.

I used the pool calculator to determine how much granulated chlorine to use (177oz).

I wasn't going to add the rest of the chemicals until I get a few more inches of water in and can run the filter.

Good deal! How deep is your pool? There is a pool volume calculator toward the bottom of poolmath to calculate how many gallons your pool is. Your sig says no idea. :)

20x50x4 is 30k gal

Ok. Reading 3

Water is 66 degrees

FC is back to 0
CC is back to 0
PH is still 7.0
TA up to 80
calcium Hardness down to 80
CYA still below 30

A few questions:
1) I have had socks with 188 oz of stabilizer in the pool for almost 48 hours. But they don't appear to have dissolved much.

2) I have a SWG and bags of salt. How do choose a mix of salt and bleach?

3) how do I convert concentrated bleach to the right volume of 6% bleach

4) pool isn't entirely full yet so I won't turn the filter on until tomorrow. Should I add all the chemicals now or wAit until I am full and running?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.