Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex 1,500 gph (110-120V) model 635 replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex 1,500 gph (110-120V) model 635 replacement

I've got a pump that after a season doesn't pump well at all. My pool is the Intex Easy Set 18'x4' AGP. I've bought an Intex Salt filter and with that inline the filter pump is just not working well enough for the salt water pump to produce chlorine fast enough to keep the pool chlorine at an acceptable level.

I'd spend more money for a quality pump that actually worked and would fit my existing pool.

Any recommendations???

Thanks
    Harry

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex 1,500 gph (110-120V) model 635 replacement

Is the SWG alarming with a low flow indicator? What makes you think it is not producing chlorine fast enough? SWGs either produce chlorine or they don't. There is no in between.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

While I don't have a SWG, I use the 14" 2150GPH Sandfilter system and it does a great job. I run two 3-1/4 hour cycles for two turnovers a day, that combined with TFPC gives me the clearest pool I've ever had.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

How did you determine it doesn't flow enough? Low flow in the return to the pool? Low flow lights on in the SWG?

Any chance it's just that your filter needs cleaning? Is the pool green and/or cloudy? That will both load up a filter in a hurry and consume all the FC you generate as fast as it hits the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

yes the chlorine had been good a week before and now registers 0 AC. The skimmer basket doesn't pull enough to suck water over the brim, we've put in three filters in three days. we keep having to bleed air out the top of the filter pump combo. With a new filter and freshly let air out and it pulls better but I don't think anywhere like it should.....I know the Intex pumps have a rep for being cheap and only last a year or so and wondered if anyone else had changed out -
    the salt barked about low flow only once and it was dirty filter. And many times for high salt warning though the pool tests at the pool store are registering low salt. My theory is the low flow is causing the salt to seem concentrated but i'm no expert.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like you might be having an algae bloom. That will clog up the filter and reduce flow rates.

Also, if you are getting a lot of air into the filter, then you have an air leak somewhere on the suction side of the pump that needs to be fixed. How is the water level? Make sure air isn't getting sucked into the skimmers.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Check to make sure there isn't a clog somewhere. It's been a while since I had that pump, but I remember finding hair and grass stuff somewhere, causing low flow.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Pine needles in the impeller can cause low flow conditions. Shouldn't cause air in the tank, though.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

no pine trees around here. "Sounds like you might be having an algae bloom" so I can brush the bottom four hours ago and see blue pool bottom but jyst went out and totally green on the floor again - is that an algae bloom?

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by lightstamp View Post
    no pine trees around here. "Sounds like you might be having an algae bloom" so I can brush the bottom four hours ago and see blue pool bottom but jyst went out and totally green on the floor again - is that an algae bloom?
    I would think so, especially if the FC dropped below recommended levels.

Do you have one of the recommended test kits? Can you post a full set of test results, especially the CYA.

We need these results so you can calculate your proper shock level and SLAM that pool. In the mean-time you better get that FC up. Using pool math put in enough bleach for 10ppm. Check it an hour later and post the results.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!