Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding CYA

Would it be ok to let it dissolve in a bucket and then pour in front of the return? Seems like it would be faster then the sock in the skimmer.
    30K gallon 20 X 40 IG vinyl built 8/2013, Hayward 1.0 hp super pump, 250,000 BTU Hayward heater, S244s Hayward Sand Filter w/side mount multi port valve, Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Chlorinator with Turbocell T-15 , Coverstar automatic pool cover with key switch, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Adding CYA

Been there, it takes forever for the granuals to dissolve, even with hot water. I would use a paint mixer in an 18V drill and go thru two batteries and the stuff still wouldn't be dissolved.

Since I started TFPC I put it in a nylon stocking hanging from the ladder, done in a few days to a week. Easy-Peasy.

YMMV

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Dom has it.

Generally there is a lot of experience behind the recommendations made here at TFP. But, whenit comes down to it, it's your pool to treat how you would like. To quote Dave, Site Owner of TFP:
    Throughout TFP, you will read that we suggest certain levels that good science and practical experience has taught us fall within safe ranges.

Further reading of posts here will draw you to the inescapable conclusion that these guidelines work.......in thousands and thousands of pools worldwide.

You may or may not choose to use these methods and guidelines or you may use some and not others. Our goal is to teach you what has been proven time and time again and then let you use that information to your benefit.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses I will continue to put the socks in the skimmers.
    30K gallon 20 X 40 IG vinyl built 8/2013, Hayward 1.0 hp super pump, 250,000 BTU Hayward heater, S244s Hayward Sand Filter w/side mount multi port valve, Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Chlorinator with Turbocell T-15 , Coverstar automatic pool cover with key switch, TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    Been there, it takes forever for the granuals to dissolve, even with hot water. I would use a paint mixer in an 18V drill and go thru two batteries and the stuff still wouldn't be dissolved.

Since I started TFPC I put it in a nylon stocking hanging from the ladder, done in a few days to a week. Easy-Peasy.

YMMV

Dom

Love to see new people jump in with answers!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

It's best not to put the socks in the skimmer. It is acid after all. You're better off placing the sock in front of the return or anywhere else in the pool. Aside from DE don't put anything in the skimmer, including pucks. Use floaters for the occasional/temporary usage of pucks.
    ~19k Gal, IG Vinyl, Hayward SP2607X10 1hp pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, built in 70s, has 8 deep end with diving board, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 1 low hole, Polaris booster pump PB4-60, old Polaris robot not sure model, Rheem P-M266A-EN-C 266,000 BTU heater, solar cover, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by wrems View Post
    It's best not to put the socks in the skimmer. It is acid after all. You're better off placing the sock in front of the return or anywhere else in the pool. Aside from DE don't put anything in the skimmer, including pucks. Use floaters for the occasional/temporary usage of pucks.
    As long as the pump is on and the water is circulating one of the TFP recommendations is to set the sock in the top of the skimmer. Now if the pump is off then it is recommended it not be in there.

- - - Updated - - -

You can read about adding stablizer in a sock to the skimmer basket on this page.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process