Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Put $ into existing Polaris 380 or purchase Robotic cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Put $ into existing Polaris 380 or purchase Robotic cleaner

The pump which was replaced approximately 3 years ago died. It was for our older Polaris 380 (many parts have been replaced over time). We can buy a new booster pump for around $280 or invest in a robotic cleaner. I was leaning towards a Dolphin Nautilus Plus, and a caddy. I am open to suggestions for robotic cleaners. Not sure which way to go. What would you do - just get the booster pump or invest in robotic cleaner?
    20 X 40 lazy L, vinyl liner, chlorine, approximately 33,000 gallons, automatic chlorinator, DE filter, HP 1.5 variable pump, dolphin Triton cleaner
    cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Put $ into existing Polaris 380 or purchase Robotic cleaner

Hello and welcome to TFP! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post about the Polaris. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Some of it comes down to whether or not you have time to put the robotic cleaner in the pool, and take it out several hours later on a daily basis. I decided to repair my Polaris 280, because my hours are too irregular with the type of work I do.
    Michael

20,000 gallon in-ground gunite/plaster pool (1992), attached spa with spillway, Pentair Superflo 1.5 HP pump, Smith booster pump for pool sweep, Pentair 2000 DE filter, Sta Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater, Silencer Blower 2 HP for spa, Polaris 280 pool sweep.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well I bit the bullet and ordered a Dolphin Triton Plus. I'm hoping I will love it.
    20 X 40 lazy L, vinyl liner, chlorine, approximately 33,000 gallons, automatic chlorinator, DE filter, HP 1.5 variable pump, dolphin Triton cleaner
    cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If you are handy you could replumb your system. Using your main pump as water supply, plumb a new pipe where your booster pump went using a 3 way valve. Buy Polaris 360.