Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG with an autocover?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG with an autocover?

We have a Coverstar autocover with the rails embedded in the concrete below the coping. When we built the pool, we were advised against SWG due to the autocover rails and corrosion. Does anyone have any direct experience with this? I would love to switch to SWG, but obviously do not want to damage the autocover rails.

Thanks
    30,000 gal IG 20x40 8ft deep end vinyl liner in NE Ohio DOB Sept 2012
    Hayward 4820 DE filter, Hayward SP2610x15 1.5HP single speed pump
    Hayward H400FDN natural gas heater, Frog min'l/Cl2 system (not in use)
    autocover, Dolphin DX4 cleaner, well water, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG with an autocover?

I have a SWG with a Coverstar cover and haven't had any problems. I would do it again once you get your CYA right and the SWG dialed in you only need to add acid about every six weeks.
    30K gallon 20 X 40 IG vinyl built 8/2013, Hayward 1.0 hp super pump, 250,000 BTU Hayward heater, S244s Hayward Sand Filter w/side mount multi port valve, Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Chlorinator with Turbocell T-15 , Coverstar automatic pool cover with key switch, TF-100 test kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

bump

is calespool the only person with experience with an autocover and SWG?
    30,000 gal IG 20x40 8ft deep end vinyl liner in NE Ohio DOB Sept 2012
    Hayward 4820 DE filter, Hayward SP2610x15 1.5HP single speed pump
    Hayward H400FDN natural gas heater, Frog min'l/Cl2 system (not in use)
    autocover, Dolphin DX4 cleaner, well water, TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I am planning to add a zinc sacrificial anode to the plumbing. Does the Coverstar track also have to be connected to the pool bonding wire, in order to be effective?
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

The main problem with autocovers and the higher salt level is with the aluminum header bar in "vanishing" covers since that bar is partly immersed in the water. In that situation, a zinc anode buried in moist soil and electrically connected to the bonding wire would protect all metal connected to the bonding wire which means all metal in contact with the wire (if the pool is properly bonded). Your aluminum tracks and aluminum header not in the water could similarly be protected if they are connected to the bonding wire. It is probably not necessary, but it doesn't hurt.

It's the overtracks that have the biggest problem due to splash-out as shown in this post.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

I have both a SWG and autocover for going on 3 years now. I don't see any degradation of the aluminum tracks. We do rinse them off on occasion but probably not as often as we should.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain