Jandy Question

appstategrad

Jul 12, 2014
Hickory, NC
I have the Jandy 3 way valves. When I move it toward the main drain being off, I get lots of bubbles in the pump basket...not enough to lose prime but there is definitely an air leak. When it is open (both skimmer and main drain on), or just the skimmer off, I have no issues with air bubbles in the pump basket. The baskets are clean at both the pump and skimmer, and the water level is good.

I checked the grease cap on the valve, and the inside part has partially broken off inside the valve, but is mostly stuck inside the cap...it is literally hanging on inside the valve with two pieces of plastic! I don't want to take it all the way out until I get the replacement cap so I can continue to move water. My questions are:

1. Once I get the replacement part installed, do you think this will fix my air leak issue? What else should I check?
2. Do these caps and inside pieces break often? Should I order an extra few to keep on hand? I saw that one seller (maybe on eBay) stated they are a discontinued product...didn't know if I should stock up.

Thanks!

The old Jandy valves with the grease cup is no longer made. Handy now makes a Never Lube style valve. The broken cup probably is sucking air. The fix for your valve is as follows: You can buy a threaded plug to plug where the cup used to be. Its either a 1/4 or a 1/8 threaded plug. Any hardstore should carry it. I buy them at Lowes. Break off the hanging cup piece and use a small flatblade screwdriver to back out the old piece. The cup is threaded in so that when it is backed out the threaded plug will replace it Either heating the screwdriver or tapping it in will give it bite to remove the broken piece in the valve.

Interesting...because my pool was just built last summer!! Any idea when they quit making them? I was able to find the replacement cups online through Amazon...2 for about $19, but I will keep that in mind should I have to use another. In your instance, do you unscrew the top to lubricate your o-rings (or whatever is inside)? How often? I hope replacing it solves my issue...just swimming today I saw tons of air bubbles in the water and on the sides of the walls. Thank you for the advice, this "youngpoolgirl" appreciates the help! :)

Sent using Tapatalk

I don't know when they changed over, it was a long time ago. The new Jandy valves never need lubrication, hence the name Never Lube. They really don't If you were to buy a rebuild kit for your old valves, it makes your valve a Never Lube valve! The difference is the internal rotor gasket. Its like neoprime or something and never needs lubrication. The valve body is always the same. The new kit is pricey but solves the grease cup issue. If I am not mistaken, the new rebuild kit includes the plug that inserts into the old cup hole.

Well, I removed the broken cup and installed the new one; it didn't fix the air leak. :-( I added what little of the teflon lubricant I could get out of the old cup and I am ordering more to add.

I'm worried that this air leak might be underground. Is there any harm in waiting longer to find the issue since it isn't affecting the pump in "normal" operation (skimmer and main drain both on)? I'm still mad that these are obviously old valves on pool that was just built last year but there is little I can do about that. Thanks again!

Sent using Tapatalk

The pool builder filled the Jandy Valve Grease cups with a blue lubricant. I ordered "Aladdin Magic Lube" but it a is clear substance. I just wanted to make sure this was appropriate to use in the cups before I did it. Do I have to clean out the old lubricant first or can I just add this to it? Thanks!!

Sent using Tapatalk

So, a new but maybe related issue??!! Almost two weeks after replacing the Jandy grease cup, which didn't fix my air leak, I notice my pump is now leaking water at the bottom of the pump next two the black housing unit. From what I've read, this is most likely a seal on the motor shaft or the gasket and doesn't look too difficult or expensive to replace. The pump is just over a year old. Is this normal for what I would consider to be a new pump (but of course, out of Hayward's warranty and FRUSTRATING!!)? Is it likely that the air leak I had earlier was really related to the pump seal or gasket and it just hadn't gotten bad enough yet to be noticeable by leaking water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jandy still makes the gray valves with the grease cup. The grease cup sticks out and is routinely knocked loose. A 1/8" pipe thread plug will fit the threaded hole. The old style Polaris booster pump drain plug works.

Jandy still makes the gray valves with the grease cup. The grease cup sticks out and is routinely knocked loose. A 1/8" pipe thread plug will fit the threaded hole. The old style Polaris booster pump drain plug works.

Yes, I ordered the Jandy grease cup and replaced it earlier in the month with no issues.

I ordered the shaft seal and replacement gasket kit a little while ago. Decided to "upgrade" to the one made with Viton; not sure if it will live up to the hype of being better or not but I did find it for a reasonable price so we will see!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.