Is modification of an existing outdoor kitchen possible ?

HouTX

Apr 13, 2015
Houston, TX
The kitchen was built by the previous owner. The gas grill is completely rusted out and discontinued (no parts available). I would like to replace it with a smaller grill which better fits my needs, plus new similar sized grills are about $3000 . This one has a cinder block frame with flagstone on top. I do not see any vents or gas shutoff. Ideally I would like to modify the cutout and install a smaller grill and perhaps add access doors and ventilation. Will this be possible or do I have to demo this one and get a new kitchen to accommodate a smaller grill ?

View attachment 38835

I think you will find plenty of ways to do the work once you remove that old grille. You may have to compromise just a bit on what finished surfaces you see but it can surely be done.

Have you pulled out the cooler? I have seen valves placed behind them to shut them off. I have also seen valves under the grills as well. If not there is the grill close to the garage? If so look into the garage our the most logical location the gas would run from there may be a valve at that location. Tap all over the grill area and listen for a hollow spot could be an access cover made to look like the rock. Once you have the new one its easy to cut block and fill in the gap. You will have to replace the counter top unless there is some of the original granite around and you get some to patch but you will see it.

To add to this, my shutoff valve for my gas line which was run to my kitchen location (no kitchen yet - very soon I hope to rectify this!) is at my pool pad along with shutoffs for my pool heater and also my firepit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.