Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is modification of an existing outdoor kitchen possible ?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Katy, TX

Is modification of an existing outdoor kitchen possible ?

The kitchen was built by the previous owner. The gas grill is completely rusted out and discontinued (no parts available). I would like to replace it with a smaller grill which better fits my needs, plus new similar sized grills are about $3000 . This one has a cinder block frame with flagstone on top. I do not see any vents or gas shutoff. Ideally I would like to modify the cutout and install a smaller grill and perhaps add access doors and ventilation. Will this be possible or do I have to demo this one and get a new kitchen to accommodate a smaller grill ?

Attachment 38835
    30k Gal, IG, PebbleTec, Jandy: CL460 Cartridge Filter, SHPM2.0 Pump (Filter+Spa), SHPM1.5 (Waterfall), spill-over SPA, PLC1400 SWG, LXi400 Heater. Polaris Caretaker Infloor Cleaning system, Jandy PDA-PS-8 remote, Taylor K-2006 Test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Is modification of an existing outdoor kitchen possible ?

I think you will find plenty of ways to do the work once you remove that old grille. You may have to compromise just a bit on what finished surfaces you see but it can surely be done.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Litchfield Park, AZ (PHX metro area)

I would agree, once you remove the old dinosaur you will see what/how you can modify. It may require removal of the existing top and modification(s) to the side but with block is certainly doable.
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 14K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

4. Back To Top    #4

El Cajon, CA

Have you pulled out the cooler? I have seen valves placed behind them to shut them off. I have also seen valves under the grills as well. If not there is the grill close to the garage? If so look into the garage our the most logical location the gas would run from there may be a valve at that location. Tap all over the grill area and listen for a hollow spot could be an access cover made to look like the rock. Once you have the new one its easy to cut block and fill in the gap. You will have to replace the counter top unless there is some of the original granite around and you get some to patch but you will see it.
    IG, pebble tech, 25K gallons, grotto, SPA that spills into pool, water slide, two other water falls. Equipment Pentair, filter FNS + 60, pool pump 1.5HP single speed wisperflo, spa 3 HP single speed wisperflo, grotto/ slide 3HP single speed wisperflo, waterfall 2HP single speed wisperflo, minimax NT 400K btu, Hayward XL pool vac, SWG IC60, compool 3800 automation, built 2007.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Houston, Tx

To add to this, my shutoff valve for my gas line which was run to my kitchen location (no kitchen yet - very soon I hope to rectify this!) is at my pool pad along with shutoffs for my pool heater and also my firepit.
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod