Father's day surprise! Girls dropped off a 20'x'54" Intex Ultra Frame in the back yard with the 12" sand filter combo while we were at boy scout summer camp. Used to have an Easy Set 18'x54" up until 6 years ago when we trashed it after 3 years of clean water that kept leaking at the side-wall through terrible fittings and gaskets. We loved the water after learning how, and upgrading to a bigger pleated filter and pump. This time, with the frame, it looks like ground work is required. I would like to upgrade the filter size and plumbing. Frankly, I would like to spend the next two weeks finalizing equipment upgrades and purchases so that way the equipment stuff will not give me any grief for the next 2-3 years we hope this pool lasts.
Okay, we are headed over to the "SEARCH" button to research and verify thoughts thus far:
Ground work research in progress (REQUIRED @ install)
- positioned about 10 feet adjacent to the patio and swing.
- leveling by digging out high spots and for mason sand, not bringing in a truck of dirt? (low spots hold water when it rains hard)
- build upward with 2" mason sand (not using foam here in the sub-tropics
- gorilla pad or commercial landscape cloth I believe with mason sand
- Post uprights need paver bases flush to bottom
- note, would be really cool to bury it halfway if possible somehow.
Re-learning the start up chemical process (REQUIRED @ install):
- raising CYA levels up to 50'ish
- liquid chlorine bleaching (1x week, plus swimmer load dosing). Year round. (South of Houston, SUB-TROPICS!!!)
- slowly post-install reducing city water alkalinity from 400ppm to <100ppm (cycles of muratic acid, aeration, borax)
- good test kit
Filter pump upgrade research (OPTIONAL):
- 2 speed pump vs stock Intex pump
- Larger sand filter vs Stock Intex sand filter (No tree problems, but don't want to backwash the pool dry)
- quality filter sand, add a little DE to it; vs. stock Intex
- Brand names, Models
- Sizing pump and filter
Plumbing upgrade research (OPTIONAL):
- 2" PVS, soft and hard pipe
- valves, and a few quick connects (sub-tropics here in Houston)
- remote placed pump/filter (long pipe vs long wire runs)
- dual skimmer and returns maybe (20' is borderline dual)
- sidewall skimmer(s)
- Aerator (i.e. cooling, and alkalinity control)
- i.e. functions as a pseudo main drain while sweeping.
12" 2100 Gal Sand Filter Pump
Item # 28645EG