Safe to swim? New pool owner, high chlorine

sarahk

Jun 12, 2015
Minneapolis MN
Here are the test results. I have a TF100 kit, and my pool is crystal clear. Yesterday I drained 1/3 of it because of all the chlorine, and refilled, adding no new chemicals. Pool gave off a funky smell last night, but just smells like chlorine today. I'm not sure how to proceed - how do I raise the CC while lowering the FC and ALK? Do I need to drain more water? Also, we are supposed to have a pool party today - I'm guessing I shouldn't let people swim?
FC=17.5
CC=0
ALK=180
CYA=80

Here are the test results. I have a TF100 kit, and my pool is crystal clear. Yesterday I drained 1/3 of it because of all the chlorine, and refilled, adding no new chemicals. Pool gave off a funky smell last night, but just smells like chlorine today. I'm not sure how to proceed - how do I raise the CC while lowering the FC and ALK? Do I need to drain more water? Also, we are supposed to have a pool party today - I'm guessing I shouldn't let people swim?
FC=17.5
CC=0
ALK=180
CYA=80

It is safe to swim at that FC. Anything below SLAM FC is safe as long as your pool is clear.

You do not want to have CC. 0 is good.

What do you use to chlorinate?
You CYA is high for not having a SWG. Are you using pucks?

- - - Updated - - -

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

I am not using any pucks. The pool company that opened our pool put so much chlorine in to shock it that I haven't added any for over three weeks, and it is still that high. The only thing I've added is baking soda (the pool company told me to dump the entire bag in, which was too much for our pool). Do I need to drain more to balance the high chlorine and alk? Or add something else to help? Thank you so much!

It would be best tio replace half the water to get your CYA into the recommended range. The pool service sounds like it made a real mess. Are you maintaining it going forward?

Yes, we are NOT going back there! We just moved into this house last fall and have no idea what we are doing, so used them to close/open the pool. I've put myself in charge now. :) Will it be okay to swim today in the CYA levels? And there are different opinions about draining - I'm willing to, but it does end up costing more $$$. Can I wait until the chlorine lowers by itself? Or is it best for our health to drain halfway and refill? Sorry for all the questions! I just have two little kids, and don't want them swimming in the water if it isn't good for them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.