Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safe to swim? New pool owner, high chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Safe to swim? New pool owner, high chlorine

Here are the test results. I have a TF100 kit, and my pool is crystal clear. Yesterday I drained 1/3 of it because of all the chlorine, and refilled, adding no new chemicals. Pool gave off a funky smell last night, but just smells like chlorine today. I'm not sure how to proceed - how do I raise the CC while lowering the FC and ALK? Do I need to drain more water? Also, we are supposed to have a pool party today - I'm guessing I shouldn't let people swim?
    FC=17.5
    CC=0
    ALK=180
    CYA=80
    sarahk IG, 7,000 gallons, sand filter (Hayward Vari-Flo XL), vinyl liner

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Safe to swim? New pool owner, high chlorine

Quote Originally Posted by sarahk View Post
    Here are the test results. I have a TF100 kit, and my pool is crystal clear. Yesterday I drained 1/3 of it because of all the chlorine, and refilled, adding no new chemicals. Pool gave off a funky smell last night, but just smells like chlorine today. I'm not sure how to proceed - how do I raise the CC while lowering the FC and ALK? Do I need to drain more water? Also, we are supposed to have a pool party today - I'm guessing I shouldn't let people swim?
    FC=17.5
    CC=0
    ALK=180
    CYA=80
    It is safe to swim at that FC. Anything below SLAM FC is safe as long as your pool is clear.

You do not want to have CC. 0 is good.

What do you use to chlorinate?
    You CYA is high for not having a SWG. Are you using pucks?

- - - Updated - - -

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

I am not using any pucks. The pool company that opened our pool put so much chlorine in to shock it that I haven't added any for over three weeks, and it is still that high. The only thing I've added is baking soda (the pool company told me to dump the entire bag in, which was too much for our pool). Do I need to drain more to balance the high chlorine and alk? Or add something else to help? Thank you so much!

4. Back To Top    #4

It would be best tio replace half the water to get your CYA into the recommended range. The pool service sounds like it made a real mess. Are you maintaining it going forward?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

No need to drain water right now. You can swim at your current FC. FC and TA wont lower through draining.

You will need to drain water to lower CYA to acceptable levels.

TA lowering is a process. You will have to wait until FC is below 10 to test PH though as you have to know PHto use the process.

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, we are NOT going back there! We just moved into this house last fall and have no idea what we are doing, so used them to close/open the pool. I've put myself in charge now. Will it be okay to swim today in the CYA levels? And there are different opinions about draining - I'm willing to, but it does end up costing more $$$. Can I wait until the chlorine lowers by itself? Or is it best for our health to drain halfway and refill? Sorry for all the questions! I just have two little kids, and don't want them swimming in the water if it isn't good for them.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

It is safe to swim at the high CYA level.
    FC will drop on its own in a few days.

It is not necessary to lower CYA right now, but if you ever have to SLAM it is better it is lower. You want it to be 30-50 range.
    Lisa

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you so much everyone! I can't believe how amazing pool school is. I'm so appreciative.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Cya helps protect your FC from loss to the sun and high bather loader.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sarahk View Post
    Thank you so much everyone! I can't believe how amazing pool school is. I'm so appreciative.
    Glad you found us. I recommend reading through pool school. Especially ABC of pool water chemestry and recommended levels
    Lisa