Crepe Myrtal flowers? Organic material in poll...

SteveL

Oct 24, 2014
Snellville, GA
Hope you can help diagnose! I have an above ground 13500 gal 24' round pool. Been following your recommendations since last year when my pool became a swamp after going on vacation. I did successfully get that cleared up and have had sparking water this year.

Current readings as of this morning:

CL 8
PH 7.2
TA 80
CYA 70

My water is slightly hazy and am getting streaks of algae on the pool bottom. I am about ready to start slamming but, as I have been very vigilant about keeping my water in balance, I wonder why this has been happening...

So, regarding organic matter, I have a couple of mature 25' tall crepe myrtle bushes around my pool that drop their flowers into the water during any kind of a wind. During windy days, so much gets collected in the skimmer that I clean it twice a day. The pool bottom also collects debris from these bushes which I vacuum up twice a week. Is my fight with algae due to the crepe myrtle debris in the pool?

Thanks for your help...

Steve

Hi Steve. While a significant amount of debris left in a pool for an extended period of time could possibly contribute to some odd levels, I doubt that is the case here. You appear to be vigilant in cleaning your skimmer, so I doubt those CM's are having much of an impact. My first concern is for yore chemical balance. In your test readings above it only shows a "CL" of 8. Instead, could you post your FC and CC separately please? Also, please confirm which test kit you are using. That will help us diagnose. Thanks!

Hazy water and visible algae is caused by one thing - insufficient chlorine in the water. The debris in the water may add to your chlorine demand, but they are not the cause. You have to test and add chlorine to your pool every day. OK< maybe you don't have to test every day if your pool is extremely stable and you know what you need to add daily, but you do have to add it.

Read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
The water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

Thanks for the quick reply.

FC 8
CC 0

Using a TF-100 test kit. A few other details...am using a 3/4 hp Hayward pump to a sand filter. Sand is new as of late last year. Pump runs 12 hours/day.

As I travel somewhat, I am using 3" tablets instead of liquid bleach since I can't get out there and test every day, but I have seen my CYA go from 50 to 70 just in 6 weeks. I'm considering draining about 1/3 to 1/2 the pool to get the CYA down...

Sorry for being so random and rambling...

Steve

Well Steve, as Tim noted above, I think you should consider doing a SLAM now before it gets any worse. Since you confirmed FC is at 8 right now, it may have dropped lower just enough to allow algae to begin. That's the problem with that CYA creeping-up on you (as you now know), and having to keep the FC up wit it.

Your numbers aren't real bad, so it you go to SLAM level for a couple days, you may pass the 3 criteria quickly. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.