Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What I've Learned!

1. Back To Top    #1

Smile What I've Learned!

Here is a summary of some of the things I've learned in a short time on this site:

1 - Algae got a foothold and multiplied quickly because I did not check and maintain the recommended FC level often enough (in relation to the CYA level), allowing it to drop too low before boosting it back up. I actually boosted it back up to the low end of the range (being too conservative in chlorine application) rather than the high end, therefore allowing it to drop too low during the day.

2 - I can conserve the powder in my K-2006 test kit because the 2nd dip of powder isn't needed if the sample turns red with the first dipper.

3 - I can conserve even more powder in my test kit via using the 10 ml (0.5 multiplier) level during most of the slam process.

4 - I don't need to purchase "yellow out" from the pool store. I can get rid of algae by slamming.

5 - From direct observation and experience, I've learned that there is something wrong if the water is not crystal clear. It's cheaper/easier to deal with if dealt with sooner, rather than later.

6 - Sunlight eats chlorine (knew that already). Algae eats chlorine also, very quickly if problem is not dealt with quickly.

7 - CYA level determines how much chlorine is needed. Too high a level requires a lot of chlorine...

8 - Most of the powdered sanitizers add stuff to the water, stuff that can build up too much over time. Liquid bleach, although bulky, is simpler and does not add anything significant to water except a small build up of salt level.

9 - Most chemicals that you would purchase in a pool store can be obtained otherwise more economically elsewhere under their chemical name and will do the same job.

10 - A recommended test kit is mandatory to knowing what is going on and developing a successful plan to solve any problems that may arise.

I've learned much more than this but these things are a good start at compiling a list.
    20' Intex; 52" deep; 8,638 gal; above ground. Intex 1,600 GPH sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What I've Learned!

That's an excellent list!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

That is a stunningly excellent post. It concisely points out the knowledge you can gain here. You empower yourself when you have this knowledge and are no longer dependent on ANYONE to tell you how to manage your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

A TFP cheat sheet! AWESOME! Thanks.
    Intex Ultra 9'x18' AG, 2800 Gph .75hp pump, 77# sand filter, Intex ECO SWG, Hayward wide mouth skimmer, KK Lil Shark vacuum, Intex magnetic light, TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

number 2 MIGHT need a slight tweak? my understanding is there needs to be a few undissolved crystals in the bottom. so it might be 1 scoop or 2 scoops or somewhere in between...
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Good job learning a lot here!
    You are ready to start answering questions and helping people with their pools!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    number 2 MIGHT need a slight tweak? my understanding is there needs to be a few undissolved crystals in the bottom. so it might be 1 scoop or 2 scoops or somewhere in between...
    I believe the directions say that it is OK if there are a few undissolved crystals. But, I am not going to go verify that right now since it is pouring rain outside! Again!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Probably right but I don't sweat it too much if the sample immediately turns bright red with the first scoop. If it does that I'm reasonably sure it will register a good level of FC. If it barely turns red/pink then I know the FC level is probably running towards the low end and I need to be more precise in my test so as to know what the level is, probably using the 25 ml (0.2 multiplier) sample size.

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post

8. Back To Top    #8

I just posted tis to another thread asking about the FC test: The infamous DPD powder question...

In any case, you have been a good TFP student Billy! Goodjob: Now enjoy the fruits of your labor.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Nope no tweaks to that fine post at all. If there are a few undissolved crystals, it is fine. If there are no undissolved crystals it is fine, too.

What you are looking for is enough powder to get to pink. If you can do that your test will work.

That said, in the normal ranges in which we operate one scoop of the TF-100 scoop usually saturates the reagents and there are a few granules left.....ignore them and perform the test.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

I do see one tweek that I could make to #3 (I can conserve even more powder in my test kit via using the 10 ml (0.5 multiplier) level during most of the slam process).

While what I said is actually true, I really meant to say that I could conserve some of the R-0871 reagent by using the 10 ml sample amount.

11. Back To Top    #11

^i think we should add the cheat sheet to pool school.

Too bad its too long to pst in your signature But you could turn it into an article and link to it!
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains