Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Intelliflo Noise at Low Speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Intelliflo Noise at Low Speed

I feel like I'm asking way too many questions here...lol. But anyways. Brand new pump (2 weeks old), already having a weird noise on low speed. Mentioned it to the service company who installed and they said it was normal, but I'm a bit dubious with that response. Seems to come and go but it's readily audible on low speed. Some vids for reference. Thoughts?

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...pool/pump1.mp4
    http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...pool/pump2.mp4
    1) 15000 Gallons Gunite
    2) Sand
    3) In Ground
    4) Pentair Intelliflo VS
    5) SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Intelliflo Noise at Low Speed

Can you tell where the noise is coming from?

And I would say that is not normal.

What is the RPM and wattage when running at the lower speed?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I can't listen to that file right now. But, if it is a vibration related noise then it is fairly normal. Mine makes little noise at low rpm. Some people put a rubber mat under it to dampen the vibration. Raising or lowering rpm 5 or 10 is what I usually do or open and close the control panel cover.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

It doesn't sound vibration related. Already sitting on some rubber mats as previously suggested here. For the two vids the rpm reading is 1500 and the corresponding wattage is 275. Can't quite pinpoint exactly where it is coming from.
    1) 15000 Gallons Gunite
    2) Sand
    3) In Ground
    4) Pentair Intelliflo VS
    5) SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

It doesn't appear to be overloaded so it probably is either in the impeller (something stuck in it) or perhaps the motor back end where the fan is.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I had a snail shell in the fan that made some racket.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach