Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: salt issues

1. Back To Top    #1

salt issues

My pool is 15 years old. Every season I add approx. 500 lbs of salt to raise my salt level to 4500 ppm. This year i have had to add 1200 lbs of salt to attain 4500 ppm. I used Sifto pool salt for this. Now my pool is extremely salty and just not as pleasant to be in. Is it possible to get bad salt? Any ideas would appreciated.
    inground 100000 liters [25000 gals]. Saltwater with ecomatic chlorine generator. Attached hot tub. Vinyl liner. Haywood h series boiler. Haywood 1 hp pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: salt issues

Welcome to the forum.

Anything is possible, of course. Bad Salt? pretty unlikely.

Most SWG's here in the states operate just fine at lowers levels (3000) than yours.

Is there a reason you are running at 4500?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

How were getting your salt levels? I hope from a independent test and not trusting the SWG reading.

When a SWG starts to fail it usually reads a salt level lower than reality. I am guessing that is why you have now likely added way too much salt.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

it sounds like from what you normally add your at about 8000 to 10000 ppm salt, you need to test it with this kit..

TFTestkits.net
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm with the others here thinking the OP I getting false low readings from the SWCG. I think the fact that the OP reports the pool is now very salty and unpleasant pretty much confirms the actual salt level is way too high now.

Unless you're replacing all the water in your pool every season there's no way you would need to add 500lbs + every season to a 25k gal pool.
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for replying. My Chlorinator requires a minimum of 4000 ppm. I will take a sample to get it tested to see if i am too high.
    inground 100000 liters [25000 gals]. Saltwater with ecomatic chlorine generator. Attached hot tub. Vinyl liner. Haywood h series boiler. Haywood 1 hp pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thankyou. We have a very high rainfall here causing major pool overflow and of course chemical and salt loss. Yes 500lbs certainly sounds like a lot but that amount has consistently given me excellent results over the past decade. Suddenly I'm up to 1200 lbs! Going to get another check.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have a salt reading on my Chlorinator. My levels are from indepenent testing. Will get testing done elsewhere. Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

You should be using PoolMath to calculate additions, not just guessing.

According to that, for 25k pool, 1200 pounds has added 5700ppm of salt. That is chemistry, not guessing. So, yeah, it is way too high.
    500 pounds adds about 2400ppm of salt.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Every season I have my water checked for salt ppm by a pool co. and consistently they have recommended approx. 500 lbs of salt. This year my ppm would not come up. In the end it would appear that their equipment was failing or operator error. That's the only thing I can think of. Anyway on a retest with different co. my ppm is way over 5500. The co. is coming over to assess. Thanks.

10. Back To Top    #10

This is why we recommend testing for yourself and not trusting pool stores.
    Jason, TFP Moderator