Better to have longer gas/electric lines or longer water lines?

StephL

Jun 15, 2015
Dewinton, Alberta
Hello!

Just in the process of planning our Above Ground placement/build. We'll be putting together a 27foot round pool, with a Hayward 200,000 BTU nat gas heater, Hayward single-speed 1hp pump (I wanted 2-speed but we can't really find them anywhere in Canada, without kicking the HP up which seems to go against what I am reading), and a 24inch sand filter.

So here is my question.....

The pool will be going in front of our existing deck, and we will be running gas from the 1inch line at the side of our house. It would be best for us to put the pump and the heater closer to this gas meter, because it's a) in a nice, tucked away area, and b) less gas line to run out to the pool (the run would be about 50 feet so we're worried about cost and also safety of having a gas line running that far). So, is this totally stupid? Having our pump and heater closer to the house, and running the water pipes out 50 feet to the pool, or are we much better off to run a gas line 50 feet, and keep the pump and heater closer to the pool? I'm thinking we can insulate the water pipes to lower heat loss? And, if we do this, will our pump still be adequate?

Last edited:
Hello StephL! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post about line comparisons. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

Thank you both for your replies :) My husband wants the equipment closer to the house, away from the fun as well (plus I think it will be a lot easier on him!) Just wanted to run it by you folks to make sure we weren't completely out to lunch!

So, will the 1HP pump be sufficient to move the water that distance? If I had to answer myself, I'd say yes...but I haven't ordered it yet so figured now is the time to check!!

It would be nice to know WHICH Hayward 1 HP pump you are considering, but in general - the answer should be that you will be OK with the extralong waterlines. With the long waterlines, I'd be more inclined to use 2 inch rather than 1.5 inch. Just be sure to provide a way to get the water out when you close the pool for the season (don't want water freezing in the pipes).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How is the elevation change from where pool is to where pump will be.... Also regarding pipe sizing, I'd go with longer water lines too... with gas and electric, sometimes length creates a need to go larger to go longer... Same holds true with water but I'm banking the water is going to be cheaper and less hassle to have it as the longer one

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.