Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Better to have longer gas/electric lines or longer water lines?

1. Back To Top    #1

Better to have longer gas/electric lines or longer water lines?

Hello!

Just in the process of planning our Above Ground placement/build. We'll be putting together a 27foot round pool, with a Hayward 200,000 BTU nat gas heater, Hayward single-speed 1hp pump (I wanted 2-speed but we can't really find them anywhere in Canada, without kicking the HP up which seems to go against what I am reading), and a 24inch sand filter.

So here is my question.....

The pool will be going in front of our existing deck, and we will be running gas from the 1inch line at the side of our house. It would be best for us to put the pump and the heater closer to this gas meter, because it's a) in a nice, tucked away area, and b) less gas line to run out to the pool (the run would be about 50 feet so we're worried about cost and also safety of having a gas line running that far). So, is this totally stupid? Having our pump and heater closer to the house, and running the water pipes out 50 feet to the pool, or are we much better off to run a gas line 50 feet, and keep the pump and heater closer to the pool? I'm thinking we can insulate the water pipes to lower heat loss? And, if we do this, will our pump still be adequate?
    Last edited by StephL; 06-21-2015 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Adding info

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Better to have longer gas/electric lines or longer water lines?

Hello StephL! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post about line comparisons. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I personally would have the longer water lines. I would want the pump, equipment & noise away from the fun area - the pool.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both for your replies My husband wants the equipment closer to the house, away from the fun as well (plus I think it will be a lot easier on him!) Just wanted to run it by you folks to make sure we weren't completely out to lunch!

So, will the 1HP pump be sufficient to move the water that distance? If I had to answer myself, I'd say yes...but I haven't ordered it yet so figured now is the time to check!!

5. Back To Top    #5

The general thought is that folks generally need a smaller pump and larger filter than they think they need.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Perfect, that's what I'm picking up so far Just didn't know if having the longer 50 foot water line was going to cause it any issues. Thanks again!!

7. Back To Top    #7

It would be nice to know WHICH Hayward 1 HP pump you are considering, but in general - the answer should be that you will be OK with the extralong waterlines. With the long waterlines, I'd be more inclined to use 2 inch rather than 1.5 inch. Just be sure to provide a way to get the water out when you close the pool for the season (don't want water freezing in the pipes).
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

We are looking at the Turbo Flo II, if that helps We'd use either our shopvac or our air compressor to clean out the lines in winter.

9. Back To Top    #9

All things considered - I would consider an inground 1 HP pump instead of the TurboFlo II, because it can self prime (put some water in the strainer basket and it should be fine).
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Interesting....would you recommend an IG pump over an AG pump in general, or just because of the longer water line run?

11. Back To Top    #11

How is the elevation change from where pool is to where pump will be.... Also regarding pipe sizing, I'd go with longer water lines too... with gas and electric, sometimes length creates a need to go larger to go longer... Same holds true with water but I'm banking the water is going to be cheaper and less hassle to have it as the longer one

12. Back To Top    #12

mostly due to your long runs. Although knowing what your elevation change of skimmer to pump plays into this as well. If your pump is at or above the skimmer - you should use an inground pump.

13. Back To Top    #13

We haven't mapped out the elevation change yet, but I'm thinking it's going to be 1 foot total, give or take. So, skimmer should still be above the pump (but I'm just eyeballing until we actually mark it out!)

14. Back To Top    #14

In that case, put me in the inground pump vote group too