Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: umbrellas

1. Back To Top    #1

umbrellas

someone mentioned to me that they only get umbrellas at one particular store (i can't remember where-i thought it was paddock pools). I'll ask and post it. they said they're the only umbrellas that hold up. has anyone here found that umbrellas from certain stores did/didn't hold up better? tips on certain things to look for... Some umbrellas really do seem to be made with very cheap plastic. for the baja, no metal, ofcourse and considering height. we have a 6" baja step and it is 6 feet away from a fence and 3 1/2 feet away from coping, which is our walking path, so i want it high enough to walk under and may just get a smaller one for the baja shelf so that noone has to walk under it. we might also get a couple of other umbrellas.

people in phoenix talk about not wanting to swim in the heat of the day but that's when i want to swim. my only deterent is the sun. i might look into a shade cloth that i can put across the pool. everything is backwards in our backyard as far as how i'd like elevation, direction of sun... The sun is hitting our main sitting area the whole afternoon, so i will also be looking for umbrellas that tilt.

any other tip would be great at we should finally be swimming this week and I need to get busy getting furniture, pool toys, and umbrellas! thanks!
    40' x 12' IG shotcrete (3 1/2' 5, 4'), Hayward variable spd pumpSP3400VSP, Paramount PV3 in-floor, venturi skimmer, 14,400 glns, Hayward Turbo salt cell T Cell-15, UV, Hayward DE filter, model DE4820, 2 Hayward Color Logic 320 LED color lights, Hayward P4 w puck. 2" line to in-floor valve (46'), deck mount canister parascoping fountain, leaf canister, Marbella, pebble. new build 6-24-15

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: umbrellas

I was looking at umbrellas from patio stores they were outrageously expensive.

I found one at sears of all places for about 300 bucks. The base was not going to be heavy enough to really hold it w/ some of the winds we get so I filled the base w/ sand and buried the whole thing a foot under ground. going on 4 years and it is still going strong.

It tilts and in the evenings will shade almost a whole half of the pool.

Here is the link. Again the base is really not heavy enough but this thing has gone through the gamut given Texas crazy weather over the last few years.
    http://www.sears.com/garden-oasis-11...&mktRedirect=y
    In-ground, SWG, 20,000 Gallons, Attached spa w/ Spillover, Hayward system, Cartridge Filter.
    Dallas TX

3. Back To Top    #3

I have the same concern as you regarding wanting to find durable umbrellas. So while I'm still deciding what type to get for my sun shelf and the areas around my pool, I bought 3 "cheap" 9' umbrellas from Academy Sports for $30 each. They look pretty good, and they are surprisingly durable (so far). I haven't noticed any corrosion from my saltwater pool, so the materials of construction are pretty good too.

If they last all season, I'll be happy to buy new ones next year for $90 total!
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

Somebody makes a UV spray you can coat the cheapies with. The Academy ones hold up nicely but sure fade out quickly. Cheap enough though!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

We have one from Lowes and one from Target. Both were pretty cheap, like under 50 bucks. The Lowes umbrella is 3 years old and in better shape than the umbrella from Target that is 2 years old and starting to deteriorate. Both sit in a holder with a 50ish lb granite slab from Lowes that are holding up great.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

This is our third season with the Umbrellas sold at Sam's club. Poles are even aluminum so they don't rust in the sun shelf.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

The trick is not to leave them out. We always get the 50-60 dollar ones at sams club and we just close them up and lay them up agaisnt the wall in our patio out of the sun when done. if you don't leave them out in the sun, they will last a while
    (Started 4/20/15) 32' x 16' In-ground Presidential Pools(3-5-4) 14K gallon salt water pool, Pebble Radiance Kona Blue, Pentair Inteiliflo pump, 420 Cartridge filter, Q-360 in-floor cleaning, Eclipse drain, 2 Spectrum 360 LED lights, Grotto w/waterfall, Trazocrete table with bench seating, 2 deck jets, Baja step, 400 sq ft acrylic lace deck - Sonoran Stone.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have 2 from Sam's from last year and doing great but the key is fabric like Sunbrella that is designed and coated for the sun exposure here. The other thing is now that we are close the monsoon getting active is securing and lowering your umbrellas otherwise they will be like Mary Poppins and end up down the street or they will be like this:

Here are mine:
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I just got this one from lowes, it is expensive but its so nice... I will add pictures tonight.. I think it has sunbrella fabric ( does not say online?? ) and I bolted directly to my cement pad it is huge and I can stand under it no problem at 6.2 feet... The best part it is adjustable up or down to block more sun as it sets

Shop Garden Treasures Round Red Offset Patio Umbrella with Crank (Common: 10-ft; Actual: 10.5-ft) at Lowes.com

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

here are the pictures for my umbrella, I did not use the base that came with it, I drilled the 4 holes in the concrete and used 3/8 x 5 inch concrete screws from lowes to install, they are rated at 5000 pounds strength in 4 inch of concrete..

the wind does grab it and move it around, I think they designed it to move like this but anything over 10 mph I drop it down...

this bolt holds it on the post, it can be removed for the winter, but it leaves a foot high post connected...

the umbrella pole is 9 foot high installed this way

the umbrella itself is about 6.6 to 6.9 foot deployed like this.

when its like this the top is about 14 feet high

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

11. Back To Top    #11

wow, what great ideas! we're a bit limited due to not wanting to block the view of the mountain and small spaces on either sides of the pool, but i'm going to use some of these ideas, and remember about Mary Poppins.
    i'm wondering for our situation, would a sunsail work over the bulk of the pool for lots of shade. has anyone tried sunsails over the pool? installed they are crazy $, like 1/2 of the cost of the pool. then there's costco, a different quality. i think we have a sunsail place in Phoenix.
    40' x 12' IG shotcrete (3 1/2' 5, 4'), Hayward variable spd pumpSP3400VSP, Paramount PV3 in-floor, venturi skimmer, 14,400 glns, Hayward Turbo salt cell T Cell-15, UV, Hayward DE filter, model DE4820, 2 Hayward Color Logic 320 LED color lights, Hayward P4 w puck. 2" line to in-floor valve (46'), deck mount canister parascoping fountain, leaf canister, Marbella, pebble. new build 6-24-15

12. Back To Top    #12

A good quality sunsail is probably a good idea but the key again is the install and mount as part of the name "sail" can just do that in the coming winds.
    This would give a uniform shade/filtered sun option.
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

13. Back To Top    #13

In same boat, needing to create instant shade while gazebo is being built and won't be able to extend patio until next year. Between in pool and decking we have 14 umbrella holders, thinking we're going to get 7 that way people can rotate them to wherever they need to create shade. So far best deal I've found is Academy.
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

14. Back To Top    #14

We have the 10' round version of cowboycaseys umbrella from Garden Treasures (with the sand base). Expensive, yes (although we got it at the end of the season for about 40% off), but well worth it. Extremely durable, 360-degree rotation and lots of flexibility re:tilt.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

15. Back To Top    #15

Bought this at Lowe's in 2013 for under $300. Have been very happy and bought another for the other side of the pool this year. Have base weighted with 250-300 pounds of sand.
    http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...psrwsxl2qx.jpg
    23,000 gallon salt water pool and spa/waterfall, plaster, built in 2013. Jandy PDA, Aquapure, Jandy 2HP variable speed pumps, Jandy Legacy 400 heater, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Jandy Laminar Jets, Polaris cleaner,Watercolors LED lighting