Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fire ants destroyed my pool motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Fire ants destroyed my pool motor

Fascinated to find the cause of a pump motor failure over the weekend.
    As of late, it had been making a funny sort f metal on metal noise when running.

It started tripping the breaker.
    I went out of town and decided to deal with it when I got back.

I came home and reset the breaker and turned it on.
    It ran and sounded worse than ever, smoke started coming out of it then a popping sound and you could smell that electrical fire smell.

I bought a new motor which is working swimmingly (I bet I am the first person ever to use that pun here )
    I opened the old motor and it was packed with dirt and 1000s of dead fire ants.

The guy that sold the motor to me said he has heard of that happening before.

So just an FYI. I didn't know this would even be possible. I am going to keep some of those granuals around the perimeter of the pumping station moving forward.
    In-ground, SWG, 20,000 Gallons, Attached spa w/ Spillover, Hayward system, Cartridge Filter.
    Dallas TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fire ants destroyed my pool motor

As Texans, we know full-well the destructive capability of those little monsters. It's bad enough when I get bit by them (usually by more than one, but I also have to try to keep them away from my septic tank, landscape lighting, shed, or anything else they tend to call home. I feel your pain.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh wow. I've had a few mounds of fire ants build in the yard through the years but they don't get to live rent free for long! I have an issue with regular ants in the yard as well... Texas Splash what do you do to try to keep them away?

Sent using Tapatalk
    ~ 18.5' x 36.5' inground Grecian pool with vinyl liner
    ~ approximately 23,000 gallons
    ~ AquaRite Salt Water Generator cell size t-9
    ~ 1.5 HP Hayward Pump and Hayward Sand Filter
    ~ TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yup.
    Those fire ants are the devils children. Just one step below the pool store people!

Than can and do ruin all sorts of things.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

I always keep a bag of Amdro, Ortho, or some other granule fire ant killer around. On-line there are several home-made batches of stuff people try, but in the end ... it's nature. Those soldiers come right back - especially after a heavy rain drives them up from the soil. I just try to keep some pesticide near/around the items that I've learned over the years they like to hide in. They LOVE my Malibu Landscape lights. It's amazing how quick they get into those fixtures.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

I hope a lot of them flat out drowned here this year with all the rain.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

It is pouring it my house now.

Yesterday I flew up to the Red river and Trinity river to take some photos.
    It is insane how wet everything is.

DSC_0163.jpg
    DSC_0066.jpg
    DSC_0043.JPG
    In-ground, SWG, 20,000 Gallons, Attached spa w/ Spillover, Hayward system, Cartridge Filter.
    Dallas TX

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    I hope a lot of them flat out drowned here this year with all the rain.

I wouldn't count on that. I've seen them make living rafts of themselves when my pond flooded a mound. Oh I hate those suckers and worse yet have an allergy to the bites of one of the species.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

9. Back To Top    #9

Those are some amazing pics of the water level. As for the ants, it is their uncanny ability to hold-off biting until there are a minimum of 10 soldiers in position. Then they sound the alarm and all bite me at the same time. Then my neighbors see me hopping around the yard like an idiot swatting at my leg.

If I could ship all the fire ants and yellow jacket wasps to one planet far, far away, I'd be at peace.

10. Back To Top    #10

Amazing photos! Thanks for sharing! What a switch from last year..

I mow the yard with a bag Ortho or Amdro on the mower deck and sprinkle as I go. Inside the pool fence I just toss it around the equipment weekly. I knew to do this because the little buggers got into my septic pump a few years ago.
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html