Water Leak Identification and severity

selkov

Jun 20, 2015
jacksonville fl
So it seems I have a suction side leak. At least I think it is.
I always have an air pocket in the pump basket and whenever the pump starts up I get bubbles in the return to the pool. But the bubbles stop until it turns of and sits again. I have tried to isolate this via the hose as suggested but I can not find it. I suppose the leak on the suction side may seal after suction is applied. Please confirm.

I also have two valves that have a slight drip on the return side. I was wondering if there is a way to calculate how much water is being lost? My pool seems to lose to much water. I need to move my valve assembly as its location is very poorly placed and I will need to replace all the valves but I can not do that till after the summer so I do not want to spend the $ on two new valves that I plan to replace anyway. So I am trying to figure out if they are my issue or there may be more?

As a temp repair is there a epoxy or silicone or such I can seal all the joints with that might buy me 2-3 months?

So you seem to have two issues - suction side air and the leaky valves. Before we get too far to assist, please enter your pool information in your signature. By knowing all of your equipment it may help. For example, do you have a heater or anything else? Perhaps elevation change from your equipment? I ask because there was a similar thread about air in the system a few days ago. The air entered only when turned-off but was related to other equipment. So details will help. Also, here's our page on suction side leaks: Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

As fo your leaky valves. Depending upon the valve, you may be able to just rebuild it relatively cheap. But if the leak is along the outside where it is joined to the PVC, then yes, others have tried epoxy's or even something like a quick setting JB Weld to hold them over. But again, any more details might help.

With those details, I suspect other TFP'ers will be eager to reply. Thanks, and have a good day.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, this page may help if you haven't seen it already: Pool School - Leak Detection

There is no heater on the system yet. I have already read thru the suction side leaks but it did not resolve the issue. Lather this summer I plan to add a heater and while I am at it move the equipment to a new location. so all these issues will likely be solved then. But till then will jb weld work? Or an epoxy? What has worked for others?