Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Enobrad - General design questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Enobrad - General design questions

Hi. I'm new here but we are just at the design phase of putting in a pool. So many questions! First, we live in NW Ohio and are worried that we are absolutely crazy for even considering a pool being that we will only be using 4 months out of the year. It's just something we've always wanted so we figure, why not. I should also note that we have two small boys, ages, 3 and 5 and we know they would just love it. I'm curious about what size of pool? We are looking at an L shaped thinking we could have a nice shallow side for volleyball, basketball, etc. and a deep end for diving games. I also wondering how deep? Lastly, what about the types of pools? What are the major differences (besides price) for a vinyl vs. Gunite? Thanks for your opinions.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Enobrad - General design questions

Welcome to TFP!

I'll take the "how deep" question. If diving games are expected to be a big part of the kid's activities, I would suggest a deep end depth of 10 feet - minimum. I've seen more diving injuries than any other type - by far - in swimming pools. It may take longer for your pool to warm up in the spring due to the water in the deep end (vs. a shallower pool) but that's a worthy price to pay to avoid potentially serious injuries from diving into a shallow pool of water.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, BoDarville. Greatly appreciate the advice! Can ask what your thoughts are on the shallow end? We do have small children but I like the idea of 4' versus 3' to 3.5'.

'

4. Back To Top    #4

Most people tend to favor a 4' shallow end over a 3' -3.5'.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    Most people tend to favor a 4' shallow end over a 3' -3.5'.
    count me as one who prefers 4'
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Another vote for 4'. And NO diving, your insurance will be much lower and less chance for a lawsuit.

No sliding boa4d either.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG