New to TFP, 1.5 years of fighting with pool, draining and refilling

Jun 20, 2015
Biloxi, MS
A year and half ago we bought this house, the first summer with the pool was good. Since then it's been algae bloom after algae bloom. Ordered my TF-100 test kit today and added the XL option. The pool is gunite and 15000 gallons. I'm currently in the process of draining the pool and refilling it. While it's empty I plan doing a light pressure washing, vacuum out undissolved shock and debris with the shop-vac, then refill.

I currently have an old test kit and various test strips until my TF-100 arrives. Should I wait until until the pool is full before I start adding liquid bleach or add a little at a time? What about the stabilizer? What are some tips from the TFP community?

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Your TF-100 will be there about 2-3 working days from the day you order it. Sounds just about right for you to start filling. We'll help you keep the pool crystal clear. Are you filling from a well?

Hello and welcome! Good job on the TF-100. Did you also get the speed stir? It's fantastic. We can definitely help you. So for now:
- Don't bother with the test strips. Give them to someone you don't like. :)
- Once you fill your pool do two things if you haven't received your kit yet:
1. Use the poomath calculator (link below) to add enough stabilizer for a reading of 30. Get the granular, it's cheaper, and use the sock method to dissolve
2. Add about 1/2 gallon of regular liquid bleach just to keep you at a minimum FC of about 2 ppm per day. Later, once your CYA starts to increase, you will go higher on FC

Remember, it takes about a week for the dissolved stabilizer to start showing a CYA increase. Once you receive your kit, post the following results for us: FC, CC, CYA, PH, TA, and CH. We'll help you from there.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Yes you want to add a small amount of bleach as you fill the pool. Start with a cup poured in the flowing stream of water. With no CYA in the water the bleach will actually be very strong, but get lost to sunlight in a few hours. Add another cup about 4 hours after the first until the sun is off the pool. Day two wait a couple of hours before adding any. But, don't agonize over it as the pool is not going to go green immediately.

As Pat suggests, buy some granular stabilizer at WalMart and measure out the amount you will need to get to 30. Put this in an old sock (no holes in the toe;) ). Once the water level is high enough for you to hang this in the water floating below something like a pool noodle get it in the water. You just don't want it sitting on the bottom.

By the time your pool is full your test kit should be there and you can move forward.

Good to know, thank you. Then proceed with the advice above until your kit arrives. We look forward to your first set of test results and will help you maintain a clear and sparkling pool. In the meantime, read-up on the links in our signatures and ask any questions that you may have. Enjoy your day.

Thank you guys & gals. I'll update you, been draining for about 22 hours now. Using a 1500 gph pump, but I'm not draining at 1500 gph, because of the restriction in the hose. I didn't realize it take this long to drain. Still have a about 14 inches in the shallow end and 3 feet in the deep end.

I don't know if it matters, but I'm well above 200' above sea level, the pool is built up on the property also compared to the rest of the yard. I didn't take any precautions, should I be concerned? I have about 1500 gallons left in the pool. ???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No swap areas. I have old holes where pine trees where that are a good 2-3 foot deep and no water. Just stopped the draining until I hear back. lol. Yard is completely dry. I'm on acreage and it's all dry. My septic system is about 50 foot away, I'm draining down hill opposite of the septic and the pool.

I'm going to guess you are good, but think about it - the pool is a giant concrete boat. On a side note, I have snorkeled a concrete ship before....

I know my water table is high. In good rains one side of the pool gets so soft you cant walk on the grass. In a real heavy rain the water pushes up through the expansion cracks in the driveway.

Thanks for the heads up. How soon would the pool float if it was going to float? I guess that all depends on the water table and how much water is actually under the pool, whether or not it can float the pool. Probably answered my own question.

Poured a couple of cups of bleach in late last night and another couple a few minutes ago. Took an old sock and put some stabilizer in it, put it in one of those puck floaters. Looks like rain, gotta go fish out the crickets now. Better than fishing out frogs and snakes though :).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.