Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automatic valve not turning when pool is warm

1. Back To Top    #1

Automatic valve not turning when pool is warm

Ok so I have a problem with my automatic valve. The valve works fine by using the switch on the back of it. The pool temp setting is at 85 and the pool water was at 88 today, but the valve is not turning to divert the water directly to the pool and not to the solar panels. Is this possibly just settings in the Aqualogic panel? I'm stumped and don't know what to do. The temp settings all seem fine and the solar settings seem fine. Please help!?
    18,000 gal , salt water, above ground, vinyl liner, Aqualogic AQL-P-4 system with t15 turbocell, GVA-24 automatic valve, solar panel heated, Polaris 360.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Automatic valve not turning when pool is warm

What does the controller say for the following?
    Water temp?
    Solar temp?
    Target water temp?
    Temp differential?
    Is solar heating on?

Has it ever worked correctly or is this a new install?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Water- 88
    solar-91
    target- 85
    temp diff.- don't see this option???
    solar heating is on

I am a new home owner. Been here for 2 months and pool is just now reaching temps of where it should be automatically turning the valve.
    18,000 gal , salt water, above ground, vinyl liner, Aqualogic AQL-P-4 system with t15 turbocell, GVA-24 automatic valve, solar panel heated, Polaris 360.

4. Back To Top    #4

Bump...

5. Back To Top    #5

Target 85 means the controller is trying to heat your water to 85 and then it will shut off. Since the water is 88 it won't open the valve need to change it to 90 or so.

Mine has a temp differential between water and solar to keep it from turning in and off repeatedly. Yours should have one too, it just may not be adjustable. So, if the differential is 3 then it won't open the valve until the solar is 91 if the water is 88.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

So if I change to 90 and all the other temps were the same as above, would the valve rotate immediately or would it take some time?

7. Back To Top    #7

Come to think of it I did turn the temp setting up and it still didn't turn. I think I went to 95.

8. Back To Top    #8

Just went to look at the temps and the panel says "check system solar sensor open" what does that mean?

9. Back To Top    #9

I just reread through the post and I had it backwards. The valve is open and sending water to solar even though the water is 88 and the target is 85 and should be closed and sending water to the pool and bypassing solar.

Will it open the valve when it gets to a temp for heating?

Solar sensor open means there is an issue with the solar temp sensor, either wire issue, connection issue or thermistor issue.
    TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

I don't know. I guess it will. When we moved in it was always going to solar because the water temp was 65 at the time and the target was 85. I've been anticipating the water temp reaching 85 to see the valve actuate on its own. But it's getting too hot and not working. I don't want to turn it manually all the time.

11. Back To Top    #11

Bump

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Has someone flipped the switch on the actuator? This will cause it to do the opposite of what it should do.