LAST DITCH EFFORT....and I don't know what to do now

Lets get you cleared up!

Don't add anything except bleach/chlorine at SLAM levels for right now. Do it as often as possible. When you get your water clear again we will do a OCLT. After that we will deal with the CYA and PH.

Like stated above PH should not be tested with a FC over 10.

Kim

Let me ask a quick question....we've been doing this SLAM thing for 2 weeks now....it's a 21k gal. pool....I lost count at 50+ gallon of 8.25% bleach we've gone through(I think we're closer to the 80-90 gallon as far as gallons purchased, with 13 gallons on hand right now) ....is this 'excessive', or somewhat normal? This is just getting discouraging again...today's my bday, and was hoping to be in the pool this weekend, and that's not happening.

The color of the pool hasn't changed in the last two days at all...I dumped 3 gal. of bleach in a 5pm to bring it up to 16, and it's currently holding that value right now(8pm).

I am sorry to say there is no "normal" Each pool and SLAM are so different. There was on that took 6 weeks! He recycled his jugs so had NO idea how many he used.

I see a big difference. It is SO much clearer and the color is much bluer!

How far down into the deep end can you see?

Kim

First off, Happy Birthday!

Booster, forgive the question if you've answered less here but are you running the filter 24/7 and backwashing any time its 25% above clean pressure?

If not, do so. You're real close.

Also be sure to dose high enough above slam level that the majority of the time the pool is AT or slightly ABOVE Slam level, because each drop below slam level lets nascent algae reorganize the troops ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
DE? It's a sand filter.

Oh yeah! I am so sorry :oops:! I thought we had already gone over this. See the links posted about it.

Adding DE to a sand filter is one of the best way to clear up an almost clear pool. The DE will grab even more of the stuff in the water.

BUT be careful. You will need to add the DE 1/4 cup at a time. Some filters react right away to it. Some can take 2 cups before they do anything.

What you are looking for is your gauge going up 1 psi. Once it does then you know you have added enough BUT you need to check back on it as it works the pressure will go up and you will need to backwash.

There will be a bit of a learning curve as you find what your filter likes and does.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :rockon: I wish it could be spent NOT babysitting your pool!

Kim

Ok, so yesterday around noon we had to leave for a day trip. I added 1 jug of bleach to bump it up to 18, and decided to add a little clarifier to see if it would help the clarity at all. We just got home, so we were away for about 32 hours.

No noticeable change in the clarity of the water, and levels are:

pH: 7.4 (Seems correct now that I tested with the FC below 9)
fc: 6.5
ta: 90
cya: didn't test..figured I'd test tomorrow since we added stabilizer thursday morning.

When I did the pH increaser wednesday night, as soon as it hit the water, it turned into a white cloud.....so Im pretty positive that's what caused me to go from nearly fully clear to this mess I have now.

So what do you folks suggest?

Thanks.

I hate to say it, but all that cal-hypo you added in the beginning has got your CH super high. IMO, raising the PH with CH levels that high increased your CSI high enough to cause clouding. To put it in perspective, to get your CH to the recommended level, the pool calculator indicates that you need to replace 48% of the water w/ 0 CH water.

Your numbers show that your water is sanitized (or close to it). You can continue filtering in hopes that it will clear and just live with the high CH, or you can do a partial water replacement. Either route you choose, keep your FC at SLAM level until you're finished.

As a side note, be careful with the clarifier. If you add as little as 30% more than the recommended amount, it can actually cloud the water worse.

From now on just turn your return eyeball up so it rolls the water or turn on a waterfall or anything to aerate the water to get your PH up.

I say.....................do NOT add anything other than bleach to your water unless you ask us LOL.

Filter and more filter. Did you ever get and add any DE to your sand?

Kim

Is it safe to say that if I were to pass an OCLT right now that it would be alright to swim in even though it's cloudy?

Using the Taylor Watergram wheel, when I hold the 500 CH at 90 TA, and turn the arrow to 7.4 for pH, the saturation index reads 0.1 for 78* water....I just measured the temp. at 77.5...From what Im reading on the back, it says SI of .5 or greater could cause cloudiness.

I think we may start a water replacement tomorrow to get the hardness down....the CH of our softened well water is 25.

From now on just turn your return eyeball up so it rolls the water or turn on a waterfall or anything to aerate the water to get your PH up.

I say.....................do NOT add anything other than bleach to your water unless you ask us LOL.

Filter and more filter. Did you ever get and add any DE to your sand?

Kim

No, we didnt get a chance to grab the DE yet....I will do that tomorrow after work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.