Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter 24/7?

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter 24/7?

Another newbie question here...am I supposed to run my pump/filter 24/7? Do you guys? The pool guy (I know, I know...) told me to, but a friend who also has a pool told me that's insanity. *This question brought to you by my husband's near-heart attack when we got our power bill today.*

Thanks!
    Wendy
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter 24/7?

Three hours a day works for me.

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Running mine 24/7 would bump the electric bill up by $150 a month. Not gonna happen. I run mine about 7-8 hrs a day because I think the water looks prettier when its moving.
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Three hours a day works for me.

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Thanks, Richard! I really appreciate all of your advice over the last week or so.
    Wendy
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I run 4 hours a day. 2 hours in winter. I have a 2 HP single speed pump, so I could imagine my bill running it 24/7

Ours is on an Intermatic timer, so I have it set for 1 hour in the morning, and 3 in the evening. Seems to work out nicely, and I have plenty of time on the 3 hour run to test and add chemicals as needed. If I have a lot of swimmers, I kick the pump one to help filter the water.

It's something you'll have to experiment with if you have a timer. Keep decreasing the time until you are unhappy with the filtration and then increase from there.
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    Running mine 24/7 would bump the electric bill up by $150 a month. Not gonna happen. I run mine about 7-8 hrs a day because I think the water looks prettier when its moving.
    Yeah, I like the looks of it when there is some movement in the water. Currently ours is set for about the same as you, 6-8 or so hours.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

To keep my chlorine up, I have to run the swg 10ish hours a day b

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Rere View Post
    To keep my chlorine up, I have to run the swg 10ish hours a day b
    Is your swg undersized? Are you running it at 100% for 10 hrs?

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100