Need wiring help for 2 speed pump

Dec 9, 2013
Wakefield Ma
Last storm pump got hit by lightning, pump body melted like a blob... pretty cool wish i took pictures... breaker popped for it and I also lost a tv... but im not angry... it was an old tv..

Got a new pump assembly and looked at the wiring... thought to myself ahhh Ive done wiring this can't be hard.. boy was I wrong.

Variable speed is overkill for my pool so I purchased a 2 speed unit.

Pictures attached.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20150620_203034.jpg
    IMG_20150620_203034.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 20
Actually there is a toggle which has a black a yellow and a white... the yellow and white are in the last link. however the black is capped on the switch.

3009 has the picture of the toggle...

I know Im missing something simple here... And I feel Im over thinking this..

My thought is power should come in to the pump and the toggle should complete the circuit to either the yellow or white depending on the speed.

But the black is capped.. as well as capped in the motor...

Assuming you have 120v run to the pump, since you have white and black, and the pump plate says prewired for 115v:
Green wire to ground screw.
White wire to #1.
Black wire to black wire on switch that has the cap on it. No idea why they cap that wire. It confuses things.
The switch plate is already prewired to #2 and #3 or 4.

Assuming you have 120v run to the pump, since you have white and black, and the pump plate says prewired for 115v:
Green wire to ground screw.
White wire to #1.
Black wire to black wire on switch that has the cap on it. No idea why they cap that wire. It confuses things.
The switch plate is already prewired to #2 and #3 or 4.

That is absolutely what got me... I was curious why they would cap it...

Thanks folks greatly appreciated.. Im off to Home depot to grab some wire nuts for the black... thanks again..

That is absolutely what got me... I was curious why they would cap it...

Thanks folks greatly appreciated.. Im off to Home depot to grab some wire nuts for the black... thanks again..

No problem. The wiring diagram for the toggle switch on the motor didn't do you any favors either. God forbid they actually complete the lines going to a circuit that they prewire.

No problem. The wiring diagram for the toggle switch on the motor didn't do you any favors either. God forbid they actually complete the lines going to a circuit that they prewire.

Ironically my wife told me maybe they just capped it for packaging...

I told her I have never seen that, they usually just strip the wire and leave the stripped end on with a small gap.. not actually cap it... and the diagram I thought was just mis printed until I looked on the website and its just as bad...

I've seen a couple posts on here about wiring on just like that. They were all capped. Usually wires that are meant to be used are just as you described. They start to strip the wire, then just leave the jacket hanging to keep the wires from getting frayed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.