Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need wiring help for 2 speed pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Need wiring help for 2 speed pump

Last storm pump got hit by lightning, pump body melted like a blob... pretty cool wish i took pictures... breaker popped for it and I also lost a tv... but im not angry... it was an old tv..

Got a new pump assembly and looked at the wiring... thought to myself ahhh Ive done wiring this can't be hard.. boy was I wrong.

Variable speed is overkill for my pool so I purchased a 2 speed unit.

Pictures attached.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    31000 gallon in ground vinyl
    1 HP Hayward SuperPump
    65 sq DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need wiring help for 2 speed pump

1 HP Hayward SuperPump
    65 sq DE filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I guess the question is, do you have a toggle switch somewhere to switch speeds? Is there one on the pump somewhere? Because it should be a snap if you have the toggle switch at the other end of the flex conduit.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Actually there is a toggle which has a black a yellow and a white... the yellow and white are in the last link. however the black is capped on the switch.

3009 has the picture of the toggle...

I know Im missing something simple here... And I feel Im over thinking this..

My thought is power should come in to the pump and the toggle should complete the circuit to either the yellow or white depending on the speed.

But the black is capped.. as well as capped in the motor...
    1 HP Hayward SuperPump
    65 sq DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Assuming you have 120v run to the pump, since you have white and black, and the pump plate says prewired for 115v:
    Green wire to ground screw.
    White wire to #1.
    Black wire to black wire on switch that has the cap on it. No idea why they cap that wire. It confuses things.
    The switch plate is already prewired to #2 and #3 or 4.
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    Assuming you have 120v run to the pump, since you have white and black, and the pump plate says prewired for 115v:
    Green wire to ground screw.
    White wire to #1.
    Black wire to black wire on switch that has the cap on it. No idea why they cap that wire. It confuses things.
    The switch plate is already prewired to #2 and #3 or 4.
    That is absolutely what got me... I was curious why they would cap it...

Thanks folks greatly appreciated.. Im off to Home depot to grab some wire nuts for the black... thanks again..
    1 HP Hayward SuperPump
    65 sq DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jbelliveau View Post
    That is absolutely what got me... I was curious why they would cap it...

Thanks folks greatly appreciated.. Im off to Home depot to grab some wire nuts for the black... thanks again..
    No problem. The wiring diagram for the toggle switch on the motor didn't do you any favors either. God forbid they actually complete the lines going to a circuit that they prewire.
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
    No problem. The wiring diagram for the toggle switch on the motor didn't do you any favors either. God forbid they actually complete the lines going to a circuit that they prewire.
    Ironically my wife told me maybe they just capped it for packaging...

I told her I have never seen that, they usually just strip the wire and leave the stripped end on with a small gap.. not actually cap it... and the diagram I thought was just mis printed until I looked on the website and its just as bad...
    1 HP Hayward SuperPump
    65 sq DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I've seen a couple posts on here about wiring on just like that. They were all capped. Usually wires that are meant to be used are just as you described. They start to strip the wire, then just leave the jacket hanging to keep the wires from getting frayed.