Pool reno can't decide between Pebbletec Tahoe Blue or Blue Granite PebbleSheen

muffin_dad

Jan 6, 2014
FloMo, TX
We are starting our remodel on our pool on Mon and still undecided on whether to go with Pebbletec tahoe blue or pebblesheen blue granite.
We have a free form large deep pool that gets both direct sunshine and some shade in areas at different times of the day.
Any input or pictures for those two finishes? Is it true that the pebblesheen is smoother on the feet?

Very happy with it.
We were looking for something a little more natural (not too blue) due to the nature of our wooded yard and all the moss rock.
I think it worked out ok.

I went though the same decision not too long ago. First, we had to decide if we wanted Pebble Tec or Pebble Sheen. I read numerous posts here between Pebble Tec vs Pebble Sheen. I think the one largest concern about Pebble Tec is that the stone is "rougher" on the feet than Pebble Sheen. So we went to the PB's show room where they had pools with both Pebble Tec and Pebble Sheen. The Pebble Tec did feel a little rougher, but my wife and I didn't feel it was bad. What we did like about Pebble Tec is that the stone can be seen better. In the end we went with Pebble Tec for looks. I have been in my pool a few times, it it doesn't bother me at all.

Next, we had to pick color. We went back and forth between different colors. We ended up with Tahoe Blue. The color was a little more green than I preferred. When the surface was installed (before water), I regretted my decision. It looked darker than I remembered. But once the pool was filled, I actually really like the color. One thing I do like about the Tahoe Blue is that with the black pebbles, my pool actually is warmer than my neighbors pool. My pool is warmer than it used to be before the remodel.

One last thing that we added that I am glad we did was abalone shell. I love the glistering of the shell when the sun shines on it. Honestly - knowing what I know now, I probably would have had them add even more abalone shells.

Either way - I think you might be nit picking like me. With wide selection of choices, it's easy to second guess whether you made the right choice. But I bet once the water is in, I think you'll love either one. I think if I had gone with a different color, I would still love the way it turned out.

Good luck with your pool finish. Love to see some pictures once it's done.

Minh

We went with Tahoe blue pebble sheen. It's new for our applicator in Houston. I love it because it's darker with clouds and at dusk but a nice blue with the sun. It was green at startup but haven't noticed any green hue to it since. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434892971.150545.jpg

Gorgeous Ricky!

Muffin Dad, we are dealing with the same thing here! I decided on the sheen, I just liked the smoother texture. We have lots of trees & shade & natural rock features.

Planning on blue granite (today, but it could change) with shells - if I can afford it at the time of install.

Ricky: It's wonderful to see a picture of your pool! Oh my goodness! It's fabulous! And the water color is awesome!

Muffin_dad: I feel your pain! This seems to be the most difficult decision for many of us.

I love what Minh said... I think all the colors are beautiful. After watching the Wet Edge videos (great no matter which brand you use), I decided it's impossible to predict how a color will show in your pool and your yard - sooo many variables influence the color.

I narrowed my color choices to medium blues and "locked in" Blue Granite (via Kimkats - and she threw away the key!).

I did keep in mind colors making the pool warmer. I want the pool as cool as possible here in Houston! Good luck with your decision. Suz.

That is beautiful Ricky! By the way I am the wife posting on muffin_dad account - shhhh don't tell him.

He seems more secure on the blue granite choice so I think that is where we will end up. I am the one that doubts the choice the most but I tend to have a hard time choosing anything. I think blue granite is slightly lighter than tahoe blue and that is important too because yes we are in TX and we don't want to add heat to the pool. We have a deep pool so overall it doesn't get hot but I can see how it could get there with the really dark choices.

I like the texture of the sheen better and the look of the tec better. Our tanning ledge is actually made of flagstone and that is not changing so that helps me feel better about the sheen as we won't have a big area of very shallow water with it other than the hot tub. The work starts tomorrow but we need to redo coping as well so we won't be texturing right away. I have seen a friends pool with blue granite and love it. It is just hard to picture going from plaster to anything else. Our neighbors have tec (not sure what color looks more brown toned than tahoe) and I love that too. Would love to see bluegranite with abalone shells if anybody has that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't know how far away you are in DFW area, but if you want to see a very new refinish of Blue Granite with shells on a remodel, and are close enough or want to make a road trip, you are welcome to come view ours. Our pool is 4' to 10.5'. The rains slowed us down on finishing up landscape. We are still working out that effort so haven't posted the pictures yet, and are planning an outdoor kitchen and a hard-scape feature with additional lighting that we are DYI-ing, to save $$$$$. Hope to begin that step in fall. Anyway, we also wrestled with the decision of color and looked at a lot of pools first. We found the Blue Granite to be a rich blue in sunlight with lots of sparkle, and a more demure blue at dusk. No problems cleaning or seeing bottom or creatures if that is something causing hesitation.

You are also welcome to take off you shoes, and stand on the sundeck or steps and feel the pebble sheen finish on your feet. I will tell you, putting in the sheen sure made a big difference in the pool remodel. It is now much more inviting than the old 20' year white. We have been really happy with it.

Heck, you might get lucky, and DH might have a fresh make of Rita's.

Then you are actually fairly close. We are just a little south and west on the other side of the lake as the crow flies. If you decide that you'd like to view another example, just let us know. Are you considering using Classic for your Pebble work? Their office is in Grapevine, so only a guess.

They did. The crew was very efficient, stuck fairly close to schedule (weather permitting only), and were artists during application. Gilbert was the foreman, and was pretty easy to work with. We were happy with them overall. We contracted directly with them, and that saved us some dollars overall.

Muffin- Tahoe blue sheen isn't advertised but is available if you use modern method gunite as the applicator. Not sure if you have that ability.

Blue granite and Tahoe blue were our finalists. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Thanks for the kind words on my picture Suz and Wendy!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.