have to put automatic vacuum hose over pool side?

Jul 17, 2013
Ottawa,ON, Canada
I have an 18 foot 8600 gallon above ground pool with a hayward 1.5hp 2 speed pump and a hayward sand filter. I use a kontiki 2 automatic vacuum cleaner it basically looks like a zodiak g2 rebranded. Now my problem is I can never fill the hose without having no air at all. I tried to route my vacuum hose through the skimmer but there is not enough room with the the flow keeper valve of the vacuum to send the hose through the skimmer openning. It's so tight it creates almost a 90 degree bend restricting the flow. So I have to go over the pool side into the skimmer. Does anyone else take the same approach? I know the pump loses its prime but I untwist the cover to let some air out and it usually stays around 10 psi, is that good enough?

I attached some pictures to show you guys what i'm talking about.

If it works, it's good.

Low pump pressure is the result of the restriction in all that hose and the cleaner. My pump pressure goes down when I vacuum, too. An extra thirty five feet of smaller diameter hose and the narrow gap between the floor and the head reduces flow. It pops right back to normal when the vacuum is disconnected.

When I had the Kreepy Krauly, I would hold the ends to the return to push out the air and fill the hose with water. That worked great and the vacuum would never lose suction. Over a year, the vacuum started losing suction and the pump would get a lot of air in the basket. I did not feel like dealing with it anymore so I bought a robot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.