Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: have to put automatic vacuum hose over pool side?

1. Back To Top    #1

have to put automatic vacuum hose over pool side?

I have an 18 foot 8600 gallon above ground pool with a hayward 1.5hp 2 speed pump and a hayward sand filter. I use a kontiki 2 automatic vacuum cleaner it basically looks like a zodiak g2 rebranded. Now my problem is I can never fill the hose without having no air at all. I tried to route my vacuum hose through the skimmer but there is not enough room with the the flow keeper valve of the vacuum to send the hose through the skimmer openning. It's so tight it creates almost a 90 degree bend restricting the flow. So I have to go over the pool side into the skimmer. Does anyone else take the same approach? I know the pump loses its prime but I untwist the cover to let some air out and it usually stays around 10 psi, is that good enough?

I attached some pictures to show you guys what i'm talking about.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: have to put automatic vacuum hose over pool side?

If it works, it's good.

Low pump pressure is the result of the restriction in all that hose and the cleaner. My pump pressure goes down when I vacuum, too. An extra thirty five feet of smaller diameter hose and the narrow gap between the floor and the head reduces flow. It pops right back to normal when the vacuum is disconnected.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

When is does it get hard on the pump? How low the pressure has to go for it be able to burn the pump? I have an oversize pump for my size of pool, so maybe that compensates for a loss in pressure.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_h55 View Post
    When is does it get hard on the pump? How low the pressure has to go for it be able to burn the pump? I have an oversize pump for my size of pool, so maybe that compensates for a loss in pressure.
    Hasn't hurt my pump in five years. But then again, when I vacuum it's only twenty minutes at a time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

When I had the Kreepy Krauly, I would hold the ends to the return to push out the air and fill the hose with water. That worked great and the vacuum would never lose suction. Over a year, the vacuum started losing suction and the pump would get a lot of air in the basket. I did not feel like dealing with it anymore so I bought a robot.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).